Sampling and Tuning Drum loops?? Or no?

xdrivethru96x

Do you guys usually tune drum loops?? Like say I sample a simple drum break, should I "tune" it to the key of the song? The obvious answer here, is do whatever sounds good - I get that. But I don't know how to tune a loop too see if it would. I understand how to find the key of a single drum in FL, and tune it, but without chopping it to separate drum hits, is there a way (or is it worth doing, more or less) to tune the whole loop?

I tried to search on this, but everything I was coming across was about single hits, not full loops? Thanks in advance.

i tuno 808s, that's about it.. never no drum sounds. finding the proper drums, whether it be individual hits or a break, is important. i used to tune drums and i used to be confused about this as well until noticed that it was kind of a wast of time, sometimes nowadays i will tune something a tiny tiny bit if i really feel like i need to but that's not even 1 out of 100 beats. sound selection seems to be key. that includes layers as well.

Last edited:
I guess Ill just keep digging for another break, or make my own then. I've heard a lot of back and forth about tuning drums, and have probably over thought the whole thing by now. You're drums sound pretty good though man(checking out your SC) so I'm definitely gonna take that advice. Thanks

Last edited:
yea for sure. and thanks. i know where you're at, i used to stress about that for years bro. it aint worth it. sound selection is an art in itself and you get better at it.

Last edited:
i have never even thought about tuning drums. I have never had a problem with drums sounding out of tune with the rest of song, if i feel like the drums dont fit i just use different drums. It seems to me that tuning drums would make them sound weird and unatural, but i dont know.

Back