Sampling techniques and improving the sound of a sample.

When sampling, and trying to bring out a particular sound (lets say baseline) what is the best way of doing this? Is it all eq, or does one mimic the base-line by adding there own midi notes with the same tone as the original?

Also when I use stretch a sample to a beat that has existing drums I will find that the drums conflict with the drums I put on top of it (hopefully i'm making sense). Is there a good technique to mask these drums?

If you want to "bring out" the bassline in a sample, the best way to do this is using a technique called "the low end theory", where you use a low pass filter on the sample to filter out the high frequencies, and focuses on the low frequencies such as the bass. Usually i'll put the sample on 2 individual mixer tracks, use a high pass filter on one and a low pass filter on the other so i can solo out the bassline, or amplify it without affecting the whole sample. As far as using a sample that contains drums, you need to create a drum pattern similiar if not identical to the sample so they don't conflict or clash

Last edited:
If you want to "bring out" the bassline in a sample, the best way to do this is using a technique called "the low end theory", where you use a low pass filter on the sample to filter out the high frequencies, and focuses on the low frequencies such as the bass. Usually i'll put the sample on 2 individual mixer tracks, use a high pass filter on one and a low pass filter on the other so i can solo out the bassline, or amplify it without affecting the whole sample. As far as using a sample that contains drums, you need to create a drum pattern similiar if not identical to the sample so they don't conflict or clash

hey i appreciate the advise Ill try that technique with the samples on different tracks

Back