Sampling stretching problem

OntheComeUp

OntheComeUp
Okay I'm at a confusing point right now. For a while now I was having trouble with matching my drums with my sample and having the two play in sync with each other. Then last week I saw something on FP that said to set the bars in the sample channel settings. So I right clicked on the time knob and set it to how many bars it was and it finally matched up! But now I have a new problem. For one I dont know if thats the actual solution because I tried it on other beats and it didnt always work whether the project was 2 or 4 bars. And now my new problem is the piano roll. The green line of my sample in the piano roll is longer then the actual length of the loop. Without time stretch I usually just adjust the tempo and then it adds up. But now with the bars and time stretch involved even a minor tempo adjustment makes the pitch go dramatically different. So can someone help me figure out how to adjust the length without the pitch being so drastically effected?

I assume you're usin FL.. I use Audacity sometimes as well, obviously not to make a beat, & the MPC. It's different ways to do it on each thing. I haven't dug too deep into it in FL but I'd suggest not setting it to however many bars/beats that they give you. I coulda swore one time I was able to pull the 4bar stretched sample bar by bar longer but cant figure out how I did. Instead just turn the timestretch bar little by little. In most cases I just won't use timestretch at all. It's kinda uh catch22 you solved one problem but another arised lol. It's an endless cycle dependin on how well you know your DAW. On the MPC I like timestretchin way more I think it gives more control although it's nothin like in FL. You can only timestretch like a 3BPM difference maybe around there until the quality starts to go downhill. Again I'd suggest not usin it at all, unless you did maybe in Audacity. You should check the FL Studio Bible..

Did you use auto beat detection, tap tempo, a stopwatch and calculator, a metronome, or do you just constantly nudge the beat until it sounds right?

In some instances you might require more accuracy than you can achieve with simple beat matching techniques, you see, the tempo and the length of a loop are not exclusive to each other, for example a 95 BPM 1 bar loop is exactly 2.526 seconds long and if you get it wrong one value affects the other, like if the length is wrong you have just messed with the B the P and the M.

Can you post the two files? sometimes it helps to get it looping, then chop the sample to get it to fit if the tempo is only slightly different. Are you trying to match 2 loops, or did you play the drums?

Back