Sampling and splicing

SpacedOutBeats

So I'm just getting into sampling and I'm having a hard time slicing to make a good melody. Should i be splicing right at the kick drum, snare, and other hits like crashes and such or should i be doing something different. What i have been doing is just slicing at random spouts because I'm unsure what to do. But it seems to make sense to slice right at a drum hit, i just saw someone do that in a video and it came out nicely. Thanks.

You should be slicing where ever you want to slice. For some people this means slicing at the kick/snare others it's on the crash or hi hats. There isn't a specific way to do it you just have to chop out what sounds good to you.

Get an idea of what you want to do with the sample before you start slicing.. It also really depends on the sample and how distinct the presence of drums are.. After you add your own drums; sometimes you can't even hear the drums from the original sample if they weren't very prevalent in the first place, and if you can throw a little high pass filter in there..
I remember when I first started sampling, I couldn't stop structuring things around the kick and snare and was a little scared to chop outside the box.. Glad I am comfortable with that now.. It makes things loads easier when you can find ways around it

You should be slicing where ever you want to slice. For some people this means slicing at the kick/snare others it's on the crash or hi hats. There isn't a specific way to do it you just have to chop out what sounds good to you.

This. Just experiment with that and you'll get where you wanna get. Practice makes perfect.

personally, i don't ever pre determine where i am going to splice my chops. I listen to a track with a melody that I like, then Chop up different parts of the song. I can say that 99% of the time my final track is not what i envisioned before chopping but comes out way doper. you have to just feel it there are no rules!

Back