Sampling Soul Tip?

Ryan Chance

Need Some Help:

I get there ain't no "right" way of sampling so just hear me out.
The metronome counts 4 ticks..does that equal one chop?
OR is it say it's a soul record do i just chop the kick and right before the snare?
i have done this many times and end up with 8 kicks 8 snares..:bigeyes:

It equals what ever you want it to equal, you can rearrange anything in any way you'd like. However if you just want to loop the sample if it has 16 counts i would make it 16 chops, that way you can make it tight as hell. That way you can hide the original songs drums (if it has any) under your own with percision.

Me personally, I would chop once every beat, so that you have 4 chops from every 1 bar of sampled audio. (Depending on the original time signature!)

If it is 1/4 time signature,

an 8 Bar Sample = 32 Chops (32 Beats)

16 Bar Sample = 64 Chops (64 Beats)

Either that, or let a computer program do it's thing and try to make do with the chops that the computer automatically assigns for you.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Yes that is one way to slice your samples....but consider this...continue to chop the song in quarternotes, BUT you then take the tempo of that song, play a quarter not triplet over that tempo and use that as the tempo for your drums....it will make any sample that is too fast or too slow the perfect speed. Plus it gives it a groove like no other!

Okay i got it so far, what do you mean by play a quarter note not triplet? you mean don't play the whole chop through, just hit and move to the next?

Thanks, i got it all worked out i was making one chop when i should have been making four in that one chop, simple mistake. I just learned how to count bars and beats and it's second nature to me now.

My own chops are rarely less than a half-bar (unless they're a single-hit).

So an 8-bar sample becomes 16 chops

Back