Sampling and R&B....

Y

Young Stealth

Do you guys like to sample in both hip hop and R&B, or just hip hop??? I was lookin to get a different "feel" for my R&B tracks, but I have never sampled with and R&B track...just my rap beats. I could be wrong, but I think R&B sounds better when people come with there own melodies and music rather than a sample. Let me know your opinions. I pretty much know its a preference to your own producing style, but I was just curious to know what you guys thought. thanks...

a lot of r&b tracks are sampled :)

take bobby valentines "slow down" for instance, that was sampled off the soundtrack of the movie "the last samurai" :)

My best R&B joints are samples. Take a slow jam from the 70's and 80's and its pretty much a r&B joint.

thanks skyyywalker....i'll be sure to look into some of those old R&B songs...do you have any suggestions as to what are some good old school artists to sample from? Marvin Gaye is WAAYY overused...i have some old sam cooke records ive been using, but im lookin for some other old school artists to switch it up with...

how about just doing what sounds good? ur thinkin too hard. but i love sampled r&b tracks almost as much as i do composed ones. neither is better they are just different. i look at it this way. most hip hop was sampled from r&b in the first place so why not sample it.

Back