Sampling question

unless there are no drums in the section to sample it is not possible

you can use some tricks to remove some of the drums including polarity reversal of one track (should disappear the bass and kick and snare) as well as using notch filters to remove certain frequency ranges (good for snare and hats and toms, less so for other cymbals). You could also use high-pass and bandpass filtering to remove certain freqs completely. Using these techniques in parallel can also produce some useful results

Try cutting so that the sample drums fall on beat with your own drums. And yes mad filtering will help but that tends to destroy the quality of the sample imo. Also depends how long your samples are. When I First started sampling, I would use 5-10 second segments. Now my cuts are about 0.3 to roughly 3 seconds in length. There's more flexibility in shorter samples.
Are you a Hip Hop producer? Check out Dj Premier or J Dilla productions.
Dance/EDM? Check out Todd Edwards.

When i find a sample which doesnt have drums ( most of the times i use these kind of samples ) i usually count inside me ( like when tapping ) and i know when eg 1 bar is the selected sample .
I think you will be able to do it as the time goes by and you practice . I managed to do that after some time , so dont get disappointed !
Keep up !

Edit: When counting you should have the tempo you have in mind .
Also in most daw's there is a counting measure from the start of the sample until the end . You could use that too .

Last edited:
It's just knowing where a measure starts and stops. Develop your ear a little more and that part will be easy. You'll be able to hear how you would lay the drums over the sample and you'll chop accordingly

Back