Sampling at the original tempo, using at different BPM?

wiforkle

I've been trying to teach myself sampling techniques such as just looping a sample, chopping up a sample, and even time-stretching a sample. I use Logic and was wondering, is the best way to sample to simply change the project tempo to the tempo of the sample?

When doing this, what is the best approach to then use these chops at a different BPM? For example, if the original tempo of a sample is 115, and I chop it up at 115 so it's not sped up or time stretched or anything, but I want to use the sample at 145 BPM, what do I do?

I guess that would be the 'easy' way, but all you gotta do is pitch em up. I don't have to find the BPM or anything, just chop that sh!t up & start playin it out against a drum pattern or metronome and adjust the BPM accordingly.

best way is open up the project to the tempo of the trak ur trynna sample, then warp it( idk if logic has warping) and u speed it up as desired. with ableton after u warp u can change the tempo without changing the pitch..

sounds like you're trying to hard to force the sample into a tempo.
Look, it's do able but IMO you're setting limits (not pitch shifting or time stretching the sample) that interfere with tempo changes. Unless your chops are ridiculously minuscule or you're just trying to use a horn hit or something it's going to sound off. Either make the sample cater to the tempo you want or make yourself cater to the sample.
Like I said, it can be done but it's doubtful that the finished product would sound better than simply fitting your track to the sample's tempo or vice versa.

Back