Sampling or not?

kmano

Tell me one thing guys, if Im gon only take a lead piano chords from a song, recreate it by myself, no slicing anything from the song by slicex itd, only playing these chords by myself and creating them from the scratch. And then Im putting my own drums on it and other instruments. Is this sampling? Can I name it sampling?

Sounds like stealing lol.. It's sampling. Name it whatever you want.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

I just now got what you sayin.. Sounds like interpolation. I don't think there's uh name for it.. It's what you said, you're taking (stealing, lol) the chords.

So what, are you trying to say that all those people who recreate samples on their own for producers are STEALING the sounds? Come on, I don't think so.

Well, legally replaying is stealing just like sampling. Both can get you sued for copyright infringement.

its called interpolation. it is not a copyright infringement on the recorded material but it may be a copyright infringement on the composition. Stealing? no I don't believe sampling is stealing its an art form of itself.

There are actually relatively few artists and songwriters who object to the sampling or interpolation of their works: it is nearly always a question of price and some artists who initially objected even succumbed to the financial rewards.

So what, are you trying to say that all those people who recreate samples on their own for producers are STEALING the sounds? Come on, I don't think so.

That's what you just said lol. Calm down. I said INTERPOLATION. What you're doin is basically stealing the idea.

Sounds like stealing lol.. It's sampling. Name it whatever you want.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

I just now got what you sayin.. Sounds like interpolation. I don't think there's uh name for it.. It's what you said, you're taking (stealing, lol) the chords.

You cant copyright chord progressions

Only thing Im trying to ask is if Im taking the piano chords and put drums on it and other instruments, can I say that I sampled that artist or that song that I took chords from? Just like we saying "Kanye sampled Curtis or Otis Redding" etc.. That's what Im trying to get to know.

Only thing Im trying to ask is if Im taking the piano chords and put drums on it and other instruments, can I say that I sampled that artist or that song that I took chords from? Just like we saying "Kanye sampled Curtis or Otis Redding" etc.. That's what Im trying to get to know.

Technically it would be an interpolation of "Insert Song Here". It depends if you're takin the entire song structure.. Like dude said, you cain't copyright chords. I mean, I guess you can say you did if you want. Dependin on how far you take it would decide whether you need to. It's hard to say without an example.

Duhh lol.
True, read hastily "piano lead". Of course, technically if there is enough originality involved to the chord progression, it may be a different case when taken to court (let's say a 200 bars of nothing but chord progression and still, if you change a chord even a bit, it won't be the same..). It's naturally always easier to argue about a breach of copyright in melody. If you take chord progressions and make new melodies on top of them, it's legal.

Only thing Im trying to ask is if Im taking the piano chords and put drums on it and other instruments, can I say that I sampled that artist or that song that I took chords from?
If your sound source isn't the song, you aren't sampling it.

I see. But take a look at this: Kanye took Ray Charles VOICE and told Jamie Foxx to sing it. So they practicaly did the same thing, but they took the VOICE instead of piano chords and sing it from the scratch. But at the end of the day everyone will say that West SAMPLED Ray Charles song "Ive got a woman". Am I right? It's the same thing as taking the chords and play it, isn't it?

I see. But take a look at this: Kanye took Ray Charles VOICE and told Jamie Foxx to sing it. So they practicaly did the same thing, but they took the VOICE instead of piano chords and sing it from the scratch.
They didn't take the voice from the original Ray Charles record. Jamie Foxx sang it so they took the lyrics and the melody, making it an interpolation and not a sample. Sampling is taking sound from some source, not recreating the sound with what you have.

replaying a song is not sampling. i would call it covering.

Damn! replaying songs is so damn hard. i spend hours on it. sometimes i cant recreate it perfectly but at least it sounds good on top of the sample.

Back