Sampling MP3's?

Padda

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to producing, so I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm definitely going to be doing some sample-based music, as I'm always keeping my ears open for songs that I think would sound cool to sample. I have a question regarding the audio file from which I get the sample. Now, I was assuming that I could just get the song from my iTunes and then chop it up in Maschine Studio's sampler, and work from there. I've been doing some readings and lots of people are dissing MP3's. Now I know that there are vinyl purists and all that, but putting that aside, am I okay sampling off MP3? Is there a better audio file form I should try to find the songs in? I would appreciate any input.

You might need to spend more time on the EQ but I reckon YouTube to mp3 is the most sampled format going at the moment...
I've often thrown an mp3 file into audacity to convert to wav before I chop it in Maschine but it still 'sounds' like an mp3...
Don't worry though... If you do something dope with the sample nobody is really (hopefully) going to pull you up on it.
Sampling from vinyl is so much more gratifying though...

You might need to spend more time on the EQ but I reckon YouTube to mp3 is the most sampled format going at the moment...
I've often thrown an mp3 file into audacity to convert to wav before I chop it in Maschine but it still 'sounds' like an mp3...
Don't worry though... If you do something dope with the sample nobody is really (hopefully) going to pull you up on it.
Sampling from vinyl is so much more gratifying though...

I love vinyls, and as a huge classic rock fan, I own a decent sized amount of vinyl albums. I can't afford a turntable or mixer right now, so for now MP3 will have to do. Looking towards the future I definitely want to start sampling off of vinyl because there truly is nothing like it, I love going into record stores and just digging. Now that I've ventured into producing I get to expand my musical appetite in such a large way and I'm really excited.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

Once upon a time, guys sampled to stuff with low amounts of storage, so they'd sample from a quality source to 22-11khz, 12-8bit mono to save space.

I'm sure sampling even a youtube vid in lossless formats available in DAWs today is way more efficient.

Last edited:
Back