Sampling Laws and Rules

J

JFH

Yo guys

Hope we all well?

Im new to this forum gotta say its awesome ;)

ive just making hip hop with a uk rapper mate of mine (im hardstyle producer by trade lol ;) ) and ive sampled a famous rock/indie track and wondering what the rules are on amount of seconds im allowed etc?

i have chopped the piano and guitar riffs up and but them in different order and fx'ed them and used parts of the original vocal but its chopped and reverse etc

id say longest sample used is about 7 seconds

Please help

thanks
JFH

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

i have heard your allowed like 30 seconds and ive heard your allowed no more than 9 seconds of a continued loop from another track??

god knows :(

My answer is **** knows. I'd also be interested in knowing the actual laws of this now. I heard it was something like 7 seconds but i've got a feeling its probably changed since then. With so many people sampling etc.

My advice would be to worry about it later. Court tends to not even look at these cases unless you've sold X amount of records off of it. Or just make it free for promotional uses. All depends on your intentions and your reach though.

thanks man yeah good shout ill finish the track first ;)

who knows ............. :)

There is a sticky called Sampling FAQ, about this topic. From what I found by searching "Music Sampling Laws" on the internet, is if you make money off of

it you can get sued. Samples have to be cleared, before you can use it for profit gain. But you will have other people telling just sell it no one will find out,

but when they do that's your ass...10 million seems like the going rate now. For me if I make a sample beat I will not sell it, and I always List what I

sampled if I post it on the internet, just to show respect to the original composer.

Last edited:
it doesnt make a difference how much time you used. other things go into it... mainly if the artist wants to clear it or not.

Definitely don't need to worry unless you guys are pushing our thousands of units.

I think the only rule there is on sampling is to not get discovered. A producers sample production should not be easily noticed. Look at all of Dr. Dre old samples, some of them you won't notice them. Besides, if you release a record with samples on them, you might get hit with a law suit if it becomes a hit.

Back