Sampling Itimidation

S

Spektor

How many of you guys that sample in their production, let the sample like Itimidate you?

#1Like for instance when I am hearing a sample, and I like it, I go back and plug it into the sampler and then it doesnt turn out the way I want it to........or like I thought it should.

Then I just do away with the sample.

#2 Another thing when Im sampling is that I look for the easy route of sampling such as looping...........I heard other samplers such as RZA and Just Blaze and Justice leauge, and compare their work to mine and theres is phenominal. " In my mind I wonder, "How did they come up with and know to use that peiece of music!" and turn it into a whole different beat?

"3 Im not knocking my ownself, Ive been sampling for 10 years and have gotten way better, Im just a little itimidated by some things in sampling, such as chopping, and making the beat sould like as whole different piece of music.........liker for instance

ALGREN - LOVE and Happiness - One would think if he is making a love song, then to go with that sample. or another sample that is talking about love.

But I know there are some producers that dont let "AL GREEN - Love and Happiness" dictate what kinf of song their going to make or let the complexitiy a song might have, dictate their use of the sample!

Thats the way I want to be.

Yeah, sometimes you get a dope sample and just can't come up with what you would like to. Sometimes you gotta set it aside for a while or try choppin it differently. And sometimes u just gotta know when to scrap it.

There is nothing wrong with looping but it does limit your creativity. I ain't hatin but I'm tryin to help you here. Honestly if you have been making beats for 10 years you should have tried chopping by now. It really opens up new ways to be creative. You shouldn't be intimidated man, you should always be trying new methods and trying to become more versatile. Don't let the sample dictate how your beat will sound but rather you make the sample fit the beat YOU want to make. By chopping you have more control over the sounds which means you can manipulate the samples to your liking. Give it a try man, it can be hard at first but once you get the hang of it it is fun and you will get a great sense of accomplishment out of it.

First of all, intimidate.. Second, don't settle for a loop unless that's the only/best way. I can't believe you've been sampling for 10 years and haven't chopped.. Chopping will give you the ability like you said to not limit the song to being about love. You shouldn't be intimidated by ANYTHING. If you come into it with that mindset of course you're not gonna come up with nothin like Kanye, RZA, etc. Don't let their work intimidate you either. If anything all of the above should INSPIRE you. If not then maybe this just isn't the right thing for you.. Whether that be sampling or beatmaking in general.

How many of you guys that sample in their production, let the sample like Itimidate you?

#1Like for instance when I am hearing a sample, and I like it, I go back and plug it into the sampler and then it doesnt turn out the way I want it to........or like I thought it should.

Then I just do away with the sample.

#2 Another thing when Im sampling is that I look for the easy route of sampling such as looping...........I heard other samplers such as RZA and Just Blaze and Justice leauge, and compare their work to mine and theres is phenominal. " In my mind I wonder, "How did they come up with and know to use that peiece of music!" and turn it into a whole different beat?

"3 Im not knocking my ownself, Ive been sampling for 10 years and have gotten way better, Im just a little itimidated by some things in sampling, such as chopping, and making the beat sould like as whole different piece of music.........liker for instance

ALGREN - LOVE and Happiness - One would think if he is making a love song, then to go with that sample. or another sample that is talking about love.

But I know there are some producers that dont let "AL GREEN - Love and Happiness" dictate what kinf of song their going to make or let the complexitiy a song might have, dictate their use of the sample!

Thats the way I want to be.

Just gotta practice and try new things! I have found that it helps to figure out the BPM of the original song and figure out what BPM you want it in. There are a few ways to change the BPM but it tends to help when it comes to chopping. Listen for sounds you can single out or 1/8th, 1/4 or 16th notes you can re-arrange. It did take a while to get to the point of being able to "hear" what I wanted before making it, but it will come. don't give up and just keep sampling. search for knowledge and apply it.

I swear by the MPC1000 or MPC2500 when it comes to chopping and sampling but do like the Ensoniq boards too. You could use FL Studio or Ableton Live or Reason+Recycle to achieve chopping, similar process its just personal preference.

First of all, intimidate.. Second, don't settle for a loop unless that's the only/best way. I can't believe you've been sampling for 10 years and haven't chopped.. Chopping will give you the ability like you said to not limit the song to being about love. You shouldn't be intimidated by ANYTHING. If you come into it with that mindset of course you're not gonna come up with nothin like Kanye, RZA, etc. Don't let their work intimidate you either. If anything all of the above should INSPIRE you. If not then maybe this just isn't the right thing for you.. Whether that be sampling or beatmaking in general.

truth!! just keep at it, stay creative and try to morph / bend the audio to be unique.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help.

Yo man when I first started sampling The first thing i did was just remake a premier beat
like the way he used the sample it was for that song "Classic" with Rakkim, Kanye and everybody.

here is the song:

and here is the sample:

alot of times it's alot simpler than you think. ;)
Don't think to much about it, just have fun!!
hope this helps fam.

Last edited:
actually i have tried chopping....thats where u chop up notes right in a song?

If so I did that.....but it seems like the notes dont blend together........sounds basic, like u can tell I chopped it

Yo man when I first started sampling The first thing i did was just remake a premier beat
like the way he used the sample it was for that song "Classic" with Rakkim, Kanye and everybody..

I agree making other beats is the best practice.

For me it was 'My Ambitionz Az A Ridah".

I wanted to make the easiest song that I like, so I did that one and all in all it took me about 20 hours total.

That gave me confidence as well as insight into how tedious and intensive mixing can be.

My next which I'm currently working on is 'Black Dreams' by Young Jeezy, which is also a little difficult until I figured that Just Blaze synth, but I been being lazy.

Anyways pick your favorite beat and completely make it from the ground, that'll give you the confidence and I'm sure you'll also learn some new tricks along the way.

When I sit down and bang out beats, I don't really think about what kind of beats I wanna make. It's pretty much what mood I'm in. If I'm angry, I can chop up a love song and make it sound angry. If you've been looping for 10 years, that's a problem. You're not swimming, you're just dipping your feet in the water.

Why be intimidated by a sample? To me sampling is just another form of composition. I treat samples like keyboard patches. I use a lot of royalty free loops recently too and treat all of that stuff like a keyboard patch.

Xabithon, what do u mean that u use samples as keyboard patches?

when i come across a difficult sample i try to come up with as many variations as i can until i find something that fits. or just loop, save and come back to it later...

Back