Sampling Issue

RyanTrapstar

Is it wrong to use a sample and post it even though you're not charging any money? just selling it for people to listen to and rap over

Not completely sure what you are asking about. But if you are asking about the legal issues related to sampling: It is illegal to sample anything copyrighted without permission. And sharing it without asking for money doesn't make it legal.

Most companies are really lenient if you sample they stuff but do not expect to blatantly sample a very known sample it should be for you/company in question's entertainment/amusement.

Thanks for this information.
I've always wondered about how much is TOO much when it comes to sampling. So with any type of sample, should I always try to get in contact with the original company for performance and creating usage? Also, if I just play and record my own arrangement of a popular tune, e 'Baby' by Beiber, would I have to get in contact with Universal for usage?

Thanks in advance.

dont worry about unless youre famous and/or sampling really obvious loops from well known songs

Most companies are really lenient if you sample they stuff but do not expect to blatantly sample a very known sample it should be for you/company in question's entertainment/amusement.

I'm sorry, you know this how???

even a single ms sample (1/1000 of a second) is illegal to use: there are no ifs, buts or maybes

Thanks for this information.
I've always wondered about how much is TOO much when it comes to sampling. So with any type of sample, should I always try to get in contact with the original company for performance and creating usage? Also, if I just play and record my own arrangement of a popular tune, e 'Baby' by Beiber, would I have to get in contact with Universal for usage?

Thanks in advance.

contact whoever owns the rights to the recording/publishing or a clearance house. Expect to pay for it either as a percentage of your publishing or a flat fee - the company will tell you what they want from you.

dont worry about unless youre famous and/or sampling really obvious loops from well known songs

please don't give advice that other people rely on to (un)knowingly break the law in regards to copyright -

He's right, it's water man. Basically don't step into the puddle unless you really research what can happen as a result and it'll always be the best decision to just clear any samples you use regardless of how you plan on using them. Heh. The sampling scene would be great if there was a mainstream way to pay for sample clearances as well as the tracks in question, that'd be the end of limits in the sampling department for anyone and the flip section would implode.

Imagine if there was an optional clearance fee on amazon for something like james brown cds right next to the regular stuff. Come on that needs to be a thing.

Back