Sampling help

9mmBass

Hello FP,

New to producing here and I have a few questions - I have a basic midi keyboard and running Logic Pro 9.

I really want to start producing and for my first project I would like to sample an old hiphop tune and make a liquid Drum n bass remix.

I have a few questions about how I would go about this:

I would like to use the vocals and still have some of the original sound of the tune in the production but with a nice rolling DNB drums and some extra instruments.

I don't know how to go about doing something like this. How would I process the sample and isolate certain sounds/instruments? Is this even possible?

Sorry for asking a Newbie question but I need to start somewhere and I have read several threads but can't really figure out an answer.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hello FP,

New to producing here and I have a few questions - I have a basic midi keyboard and running Logic Pro 9.

I really want to start producing and for my first project I would like to sample an old hiphop tune and make a liquid Drum n bass remix.

I have a few questions about how I would go about this:

I would like to use the vocals and still have some of the original sound of the tune in the production but with a nice rolling DNB drums and some extra instruments.

I don't know how to go about doing something like this. How would I process the sample and isolate certain sounds/instruments? Is this even possible?

Sorry for asking a Newbie question but I need to start somewhere and I have read several threads but can't really figure out an answer.

Any help is much appreciated.

I was just samplin this 2pac track. Use uh filter on the sample. Uh high pass to get rid of the low frequencies, and low if you wanna get rid of the top.

Nope.

Like karledwards said, you can try getting rid of some frequencies with eq, but you won't be able to isolate certain sounds completely. Of course with rap, there might be acapella (only vocals) and instrumental versions put out on a 12" single, if the track was released as a single.

Ok thanks.

So i guess i take three copies of the sample (on three seperate tracks) and for each one, i isolate the low, mids and high frequencies?

Or do i just have one instance of the sample and open a mixer and play around with the EQs.

I still dont know how to tackle this..

Ok thanks.

So i guess i take three copies of the sample (on three seperate tracks) and for each one, i isolate the low, mids and high frequencies?

Or do i just have one instance of the sample and open a mixer and play around with the EQs.

I still dont know how to tackle this..

There's no right or wrong way, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. You don't have to use 3 copies of the sample, but if you want go head.. All you need is 1 and get it how you want it to sound.

Back