sampling ethics?

Adversary said:
are u people seriously putting down putting down playin ur own instrument?

*yawn* I play too, so what..sampling is still where it's at.

If you play something over a sample and it sounds cool, use it. But my reason for not doing so is it usually doesn't. And if you don't need a mic to record what you played (ie-softsynths) it's usually never going to sound right. I do think it's cool when people go get vintage gear and incorpate it or just plain sample themselves.

big timothy said:
Yeah good call. Premo, Pete Rock, Madlib, Shadow, etc. haven't really done anything for hip hop. :rolleyes:
what does that have to do with what i said? i just said it's dumb when people say a composed beat isn't hip hop or some dumb ass rule about sampling or beats.

I know right, why do people feel that they can't do both, I'm still trying to figure out why people think that there are rules to making beats!?

plus I incorporate piano and guitar into a lot of my beats just to add a little human flavor

Last edited:
K Swiss said:
I know right, why do people feel that they can't do both, I'm still trying to figure out why people think that there are rules to making beats!?
Well, i do think there should be a rule about taking a loop putting 8 million 808 hihats and 2 million 808 kicks. Then put some FL synths and cheesy keyboard and synth sounds over it that just destroy the original sound and feel. If you use something that fits, that's cool. I think people take too much pride in the fact they can do both and instead of doing one or the other, they do both in a way that doesn't flow.

I personally composed all my beats for 4 years or so, then started sampling. And i'm finding i'm becoming more of a puriest than i'd like. It isn't because i think something is right or wrong, it's because i think things sound right or wrong.

Back