sampling ethics?

D

Dj Path

i read somewhere that a producer was looked down upon for sampling off of a groovebox or beatmachine. do any of the purists add synth effects or are they just strictly sample based??

Xabiton said:
sampling and ethics dont belong in the same statement

At Least NOT AROUND HERE.....................

If YOUR ARE interested in Findin' True Headz LOOK ELSEWHERE...:monkey:

:victory:

I've added **** to my beats that I played in. Some might consider it unethical, but a lot of people do it. Domino said he'll add basslines under samples and even Paul C played some ish in. apparently he was a great bass player

Yeah I've heard cats belittling others who play live stuff with their sampled tracks. Personally I think it's more than OK to do it. But if you can find another sample that adds to your track just as much as playing something live would, then you'd get more props from me.

a combination of both is used normally sample and then sound effects...or stabs never a new melody entered into the entire track

heads/purists who use wack rules like no keyboarding/your own playing on a sampled track are never gonna get anywhere.

To each his own. some prefer to just flip samples, and some prefer to just play the notes with no samples. I prefer both, and for someone to belittle someone for playing live parts is just ignorant. Thats where I am trying to get, is to play a lot of stuff live because I think it will make my beats a lot more musical and not just loops and changeups, and give me a better understanding of music in general because I'm learning music theory and composition to get there really come cleaner.

Peace

Last edited:
Hip hop wouldnt even ****in exist if it wasnt for sampling.

Forefathers like Dre tore the **** out of the Winston Brother's Amen break on NWA ish. Don't even try to say "real heads" cuz ive never ever ever ever heard a good hip hop track that's all synths.

It just sounds T-O-Y on the fruity loops tip. :P

TheDailyHustle said:
To each his own. some prefer to just flip samples, and some prefer to just play the notes with no samples. I prefer both, and for someone to belittle someone for playing live parts is just ignorant. Thats where I am trying to get, is to play a lot of stuff live because I think it will make my beats a lot more musical and not just loops and changeups, and give me a better understanding of music in general because I'm learning music theory and composition to get there really come cleaner.

Peace

the art of sampling doesnt mean you dont play your notes.

just cuz some guys use construction kits doesnt mean that that's what sampling is about. rip a sax riff, chop it up into individual hits, lay it out on your sampler and trigger the notes with your keyboard.

that's just like playing a synth except you get that pretty vinyl noise and it doesnt sound like a casio keyboard.

only people that make a fuss about this **** are people that have never released any music. pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no rules, ethics, guidelines, outlines, codes, nor keys when it comes to sampling. Just sample.

Yeah - don't let some elitist prick tell you what you can and can't do. If it works, go for it.

(unless that elitist prick is a lawyer for the sample's copyright holder)

are u people seriously putting down putting down playin ur own instrument?

Put down the computers.. and pick up a instrument!
sampling doesnt take much skill, just stealing sounds that other great musicians took time to learn how to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
hell i wish i could add more live instruments to my music. plus it gives you more control if you have a multitrack of every instrument you play instead of one stereo file

bobsmitt said:
heads/purists who use wack rules like no keyboarding/your own playing on a sampled track are never gonna get anywhere.

Yeah good call. Premo, Pete Rock, Madlib, Shadow, etc. haven't really done anything for hip hop. :rolleyes:

1) Anyone who thinks ANY kind of rules or ethics should be applied to any form of music is a complete dick. Go out there, and do your thing. If you're good enough, make money. It'll the the cacksucker in the peanut gallery sticking to his "ethics" who will hate you for being successful in the end.

2) Kanye has proven time and time again that live instrumentation (and live vocal sampling) can work with with samples.

I don't agree completely with you guys.

It's not about sampling ethics, it's about hip-hop ethics.
if you sample some sound from a hip-hop record that is recognizable, it's wack. what's powerful in doing this?
this doesn't mean that some great hip-hop producers took drum sample from each others sometimes.

ethics must be about common sense.

I enjoy sampling from vinyl most of the time, because it's like paying respect to hip-hop. and it gives the good sound as well.

as for keyboards or no keyboards, fruityloops or mpc, and all this nonsense, the result is what matters, as long as it's done with hip-hop ethics (ie sounds hip-hop, vinyl sampling and other little obvious rules), it's all good.

mpc looks funnier to play with, and some stuff gives a better sound (in the end, people listen mp3's in a mp3 player, so it's not a must), but so what? when you have not enough money, you do with what you an afford/steal (lol).

right now, an mpc is a luxury, it's for rich people, not for people from the streets.
so yeah, of course some rules change with time, but for sure (to me at least), recording mostly from vinyl and being original with whatever mpc/software you have is a must.

and I don't mind sampling from mp3's sometimes.
hip-hop changes, but it's good to keep some basics that gives it's identity.

by the way kanye west owns an asr 10, I could record myself burping, and it would sound good! he's great, he breaks some "rules", that's what hip-hop has always done.
because if hip-hop ends up as a conservative movement, then it's completely owned by society.

but freedom and some etchics chosen from common sense ain't uncompatible.

Last edited:
bobsmitt said:

And yet soo many of them are famous/making money and putting their relatives through college

aint that some shhh?

everyone has their own may leave it at that.

Do Your Own thing!

I think some cats are going to Rule themselves right out of the production Business. There aint no rules to hip hop! If you can Sample, use that gift! But if you can sample & Play live instruments together, "most definately" use that ish. The creators of all those old 70' & 80' classics we love to sample so much,would be pissed if they knew we were sitting here talking about to-use or not to-use live instruments. PEACE and Good luck to all

Back