Sampling drums

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO you guys sample drums from other hip hop tracks or from drum packs/loops and ****, i have always used ready cut (royalty free) samples that i have downloaded off the net or layered ones that i have got from the program i am using. However it did strike me as a good idea to get snares etc off other good hip hop tracks....

grimaybeats555 said:
All of mine come of vinyl records. I prefer the sound of drums coming off records rather than drums off cds.

yea man def, not only is vinyl such a thick and warm drum sample source, its also one of the strongest "traditions" of hip hop production, in my opinion.

i always sampled vinyl from my turntable through my preamp, into my eps-16+, but now i just got an analog filter/distortion unit and an analog compressor that go before the sampler's a/d converters. gives the samples some cool flavor, once i put together some tracks with these samples i will post them cuz they sound crazy!

another great thing to try:

- find a drummer who owns a good drum set

- get a good dynamic mic if you dont already have one (shure sm58's are great)

- get a 4-track or another tape recorder

- maybe look into analog fx processing (filter, compressor, eq, etc) and chain it up between your mic and your tape

- tune the drums

- record those drums! (to the tape)

- sample them off your tape

now you have some real drum sounds, with some tape saturation and maybe even some analog processing. you can mess with all kind of stuff: the tuning, the micing, the type of drumstick, etc....

Everyone is gonna sample drums differently. I am a 808/909 lover myself. Ill usually take some hits off vinyl or even from reasons preset drums and layer them with an 808 just my style and when the 808 dont sound right i use the 909

In my experience sampling from vinyl gives me the results i want. I sometimes also layer some reason or cd sampler drums with sampled ones to get the sound i want

Nu_Soundproduction said:
DO you guys sample drums from other hip hop tracks or from drum packs/loops and ****, i have always used ready cut (royalty free) samples that i have downloaded off the net or layered ones that i have got from the program i am using. However it did strike me as a good idea to get snares etc off other good hip hop tracks....

F*%k it sample your drums from anywhere. Whatever sounds best. It's good to get a variety. Vinyl is the best in my opinion. I found that soul records from the 70's and rock music from the 60's tend to have nice sounds. Also Hip Hop records from the 90's also have some nice in yo' face kicks and snares. If not vinyl use a cd. When sampling from cds I usually go w/any Hip Hop album. Alot of intros have some good sounds. Most of the time I just sample my sh..dry, no efx, nothing, just the fckin' drums!

I like to sample drums no one else is even thinking about like dance, trance, and especially disco and pop music. No one else I know of does that ****, and i love being different as far as my production.

Generic White Boy said:
I like to sample drums no one else is even thinking about like dance, trance, and especially disco and pop music. No one else I know of does that ****, and i love being different as far as my production.
ive been samplin disco pop and dance for a minute hahahahahah

Generic White Boy said:

Well I'll sample anything. In general I try to stay away from techno because the music already has so many samples. I prefer to start from scratch. Trance just sucks and you have to be on drugs to tolerate that sh*t.

I've always considered good drums as being like the main thing in a beat I make. Pretty simple.

I sample the same LP sources as most other people making hip hop beats. My drums would always come off Jazz LPs, where the players really use all of the kit, giving me a nice spectrum to work from.

I like the process of taking drums from the jazz source to a hip hop beat, so I wouldn' really get much fun out of taking drums from one hip hop song and using them for another.

i usually go for vinyl, but i know dre sampled the korg triton drum sounds into the mpc 3000 alot

every7 said:
I've always considered good drums as being like the main thing in a beat I make. Pretty simple.

I sample the same LP sources as most other people making hip hop beats. My drums would always come off Jazz LPs, where the players really use all of the kit, giving me a nice spectrum to work from.

I like the process of taking drums from the jazz source to a hip hop beat, so I wouldn' really get much fun out of taking drums from one hip hop song and using them for another.

Yeah true, I understand that. Me, I'll sample from almost any source but I don't enjoy sampling from jungle nor dance music because the music is already so oversampled.

yeah for right now I'll take Reasons presets, then some drums of this sound CD I got, and re-record them in 8 bit Stereo fromat and stack them.

But when I get the turntable setup, I'm going to take drumbreaks off vinyl records i have and chop them and use those.

im amazed that u can get 8bit audio goin in ur pc that is astonishing I didnt think it went below 16

I forget kuz Ive never tried it but its not true 8bit its mainly distortion kuz the pc cant really emulate it properly.

Xabiton said:
I forget kuz Ive never tried it but its not true 8bit its mainly distortion kuz the pc cant really emulate it properly.

Who gives a ****.....go back to your bookshelf of dollar bin specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back