Sampling drum breaks

BeatsByD

I wonder what they sample breaks drums for?

Do you chop the drums and use the Kick, snare etc or do you complete throw it in the beat ? If that, can you give me a example of a rap beat where it is used?

Always wondered that, maybe its a stupid question but im learning sampling so its good to know.

You can chop individual drum sounds, loop them or chop them into smaller bits and rearrange them.

Two examples of breaks in use:

=
+
(break starts at 5:14)

=

Hip hop started from people digging for drum breaks and making that part longer and rapping on it. Some things are just part of the culture. Over time it became easier to get a hold of pre made sounds that actually sound good. I still use break beats but I also use mutli sampled drum kits. I don't use many internet kits though. I have a few though.

Drum kits weren't readily available back before the internet was popularized. So they'd have to get all their drums from breaks in records. I tend to do it from time to time to make my own kits and what not.

I typically either find them on records, or grab one from my archive of DVDs all over my desk. I'll find a drum break I want, usually in a high res file such as WAV or FLAC. Highlight the individual kick, snare, hi-hat, whatever it may be. Then I'll add some compression and EQ it a bit to the sound I desire.

And like someone said above, do some layering, a snare and a clap make wonderful sounds. It's all about experimentation.

I don't even like using drum breaks like that. I like to challenge myself and for me it's easier to use drum breaks. Most of the time I just ride the beat out with the chosen kick and snare. But, on the other hand, when I do use drum breaks, the beat sounds more grimey and natural. It all depends on the beat.

I don't even like using drum breaks like that. I like to challenge myself and for me it's easier to use drum breaks. Most of the time I just ride the beat out with the chosen kick and snare. But, on the other hand, when I do use drum breaks, the beat sounds more grimey and natural. It all depends on the beat.

You don't like usin em, but it's easier to use em?

You don't like usin em, but it's easier to use em?

Yeah. I like to add my own touch. I don't wanna cheat my listeners when it comes to samples. I want cats to hear it and be like, "Oh, he flipped it like that?" Like for example, I heard this old Ziggy Stardust David Bowie joint and he had an ill drum break. The kicks and snare were all perfect. I wanted to take those kicks and snares but there was not enough air between them. So instead of just doing my own thing with those drums, I had to scrap my own idea and go with the rhythm already laid out for me. I didn't have to do that, but the drum break was cool so I just took it. But I feel like I accomplish more when I put my own drums to it. 1 hi and 1 low kick. 1 hi and 1 low snare. Some hats. My own rhythm to it. That's cool for me.

But don't get me twisted, I still use breaks. I use whatever I get my hands on. I don't discriminate on breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me personally, it depends on the track I'm working on... I might find a break that fits in really well and end up using the whole thing, or just chop the sample and use parts of the drums.

Please dont take this negatively but i dont think its a valid question to ask. Just get creative with it, if it works, it works.

To answer your question, i think its only natural progression to chop a drum loop, i've only started to do this after about 7/8 years of beatmaking, before i'd just use packs of drums. But using a loop as a sample tends to bring more life into the beat, as they are generally live drums. It depends what sound your going for as a producer though to be honest.

Last edited:
I only like to sample drum rolls or percussion but i dont really like to sample drum breaks they usually sound weak and low quality, I never can get them to sound good

I only like to sample drum rolls or percussion but i dont really like to sample drum breaks they usually sound weak and low quality, I never can get them to sound good
You're not doing it right then. Most cats who primarily sample get their drums from breaks and them shits still hit

I always chop up 2 or more breaks into seperate kicks etcetara, layer them and EQ and/or compress them until I'm satisfied with the sound. Or you use the break, and layer some of your chopped drums with it.

Last edited:
i cant belive this guy asked for an example of a break being used in hip hop smh

I asked because im kinda new to beat making. Not that i studied sampling that much before i started beatmaking. I would understand it would be weird if i asked after 10 years beatmaking.

Back