Sampling - The different types of Audio

Music From Iran

Hello
What do I need to sample?
I know you can use programs or hardware.
What are the advantages/dissadvantages of the two?

Also, what does the sound source of your audio you want to sample be? Can it be from cassette (with a connection of course)? Can it be digital (mp3, wav etc.)? Can it be CD or Vinyl?

Thanks a lot

You can sample any and everything. In my setup i actually have a cassette deck and a turntable. both are great. vinyl is great for sound and finding things u usually wouldnt find otherwise. Tapes are great kuz they are easy to transport especially if u have a walk man. Cds are great for good qualty and very portable but some stuff is hard to find on cd. So my opinion is use all 3. My preference is vinyl and usually when im lookin to buy music ill look for the vinyl version first then the casette then the cd and if i cant find any of those i may get an mp3

Music From Iran said:
Hello
What do I need to sample?
I know you can use programs or hardware.
What are the advantages/dissadvantages of the two?

Also, what does the sound source of your audio you want to sample be? Can it be from cassette (with a connection of course)? Can it be digital (mp3, wav etc.)? Can it be CD or Vinyl?

Thanks a lot

Yeah, vinyl is def the way to go. Vinyl gives you that nice warm sound. Cd's are cool too. Cd's are very crisp though, you can always dirty up your samples by filtering them in the sampler. Cassettes in my opinion suck. Cassettes contain too much static! The only time I'll use a cassette player is if I want to make a skit or something. Every once in a while I'll sample from my DVD player as well.

basixxx said:

Yeah, vinyl is def the way to go. Vinyl gives you that nice warm sound. Cd's are cool too. Cd's are very crisp though, you can always dirty up your samples by filtering them in the sampler. Cassettes in my opinion suck. Cassettes contain too much static! The only time I'll use a cassette player is if I want to make a skit or something. Every once in a while I'll sample from my DVD player as well.
try a high quality tape deck ive been listening to tapes for years and have never heard any static unless 1 it was a ****ty deck or 2 the tape was in bad condition the casette tape used in casettes is the same tape used for everything else its just cut smaller which means less space and more compression really kuz it all has to fit on tape but is it a bad format? the answer is no

Xabiton said:
try a high quality tape deck ive been listening to tapes for years and have never heard any static unless 1 it was a ****ty deck or 2 the tape was in bad condition the casette tape used in casettes is the same tape used for everything else its just cut smaller which means less space and more compression really kuz it all has to fit on tape but is it a bad format? the answer is no

Trust me man, I've got like 100+ cassettes. I've had all types of cassette decks and all types of cassettes. The sh*t just doesn't compare to cd nor vinyl. Perhaps an orig recording is some what comparable but I still wouldn't f*ck w/it.

im not seein where u gettin static from tho ive had all kinds of decks and tapes as well as i said before ive been usin them since the 80s (well as long as i can remember Ill be 22 in september) and i have never had any issues with tape unless the tape or tape player was damaged in some way. does casette compare the vinyl maybe not but its up there. its all a matter of preference when it comes to what to sample. Id take a tape over a cd any day tho.

you gotta get a hifi cassette deck if you ****in with cassettes...simple

Xabiton said:
im not seein where u gettin static from tho ive had all kinds of decks and tapes as well as i said before ive been usin them since the 80s (well as long as i can remember Ill be 22 in september) and i have never had any issues with tape unless the tape or tape player was damaged in some way. does casette compare the vinyl maybe not but its up there. its all a matter of preference when it comes to what to sample. Id take a tape over a cd any day tho.

Well I'm 31, and trust me homie I'm extremely familiar w/cassettes. I've been through alot w/cassettes. As a matter of fact when cd's came out, I refused to use them for a while because I was in love w/cassettes. Now, f*ck cassettes. That's like comparing DVD and VHS? Like you said though, it's all about your preference.

Where can I get a "hi quality" tape deck? Any particular model to look out for?

Xabiton said:
damn theres a lot of old people on this site lol

Actually I thought just the opposite. There's a bunch of youngsters on this site. This became apparent to me when in 1 of our forums I mentioned that T.I. & Lil Wayne were corny. Sh*t, you should've seen how many fools were like, "Why you hatin', T.I. and Lil Weezy are the most influential people in rap"; I was like alrighty then? But is 31 really that old? Don't worry you'll be there soon Daniel son. LOL

denon makes some great tape decks...if your willing to pay the price for the hifi models.....also marantz, technics, NAD, pioneer, jvc......and if you got DOUGH....theres nakamichi...

LiQuiD6 said:
denon makes some great tape decks...if your willing to pay the price for the hifi models.....also marantz, technics, NAD, pioneer, jvc......and if you got DOUGH....theres nakamichi...

Yeah, Nakamichi is the Rolex of tape decks.

Back