sampling from CD

ianscott111

I was wondering what people to use to sample from CD. I got a sampler (ASR-10), and I've got some samples on my computer (drums) that I want to use in the ASR. My plan is to burn them onto an audio CD, but I was wondering what kind of CD player would give me the best sound quality (i.e. probably not a Discman). Anyone want to give me some tips on sampling from CDs, and what CD player they've found that works best for them?

(I'm not looking for something really expensive - no CD turntables, etc. If a $200-$300 Sony CD player would work, or if I could hook up an audio receiver to my ASR, that would be good. Of course, something cheaper that would give me quality is also good.)

Thanks.

**** u dont need 2 spend money on a cd sampler just put the cd into ya pc go 2 my computer then disc drive and just open em from there in ya wave editing program

Opening up the samples in a wave editing program on my computer wouldn't help getting them into my ASR. I'm trying to get samples off of my computer onto the ASR, and the easiest way I can think of doing so would be by putting them on an audio CD and then sampling them into the ASR (since I currently do not have SCSI).

you can use your PC's audio outs and go into the ins on the ASR...that way you can sample CDs and whatever is already on your PC.

thats how I would go about it.

I've tried that, but my computer seems to add a fair amount of noise in the background - it's not really acceptable sound quality straight from my computer's outs/my MOTU 828's outs.

Just grab any cd player with a line out you can get your hands on, sound quality should be ok on all but the most budget models.

Last edited:
It isn't really going to matter what cd player you use, if you decide to go that route. It may be easiest to get a sd bplayer with at least RCA outs so that you don't have to rig something up for aa discman. But I've come off of a discman before only because I had access to headphone jack to rca's to 1/4 in. It came out straight.

ianscott111 said:
I've tried that, but my computer seems to add a fair amount of noise in the background - it's not really acceptable sound quality straight from my computer's outs/my MOTU 828's outs.

If you are getting noise off the 828, you are going to want to reinstall your drivers and get that problem fixed. If your card is set up properly (and if you know how to use it - ie, you have the sampler plugged in properly) you shouldn't be getting that kind of noise. The 828 is a very quiet card.

I bet you are either using version 1 drivers, or you are hooked up wrong. The only other options are that your cable is fried (cables are a major source of line noise), the out you plugged into is fried (rather doubtful), or your samples suck.

Ghowell said:
If you are getting noise off the 828, you are going to want to reinstall your drivers and get that problem fixed. If your card is set up properly (and if you know how to use it - ie, you have the sampler plugged in properly) you shouldn't be getting that kind of noise. The 828 is a very quiet card.

I bet you are either using version 1 drivers, or you are hooked up wrong. The only other options are that your cable is fried (cables are a major source of line noise), the out you plugged into is fried (rather doubtful), or your samples suck.

I think the MOTU is actually picking up the computer's noise - there's faint noise in the background whenever the mouse is used on my computer (it's a Dell laptop). As I'm going to be getting a new computer soon, I'm hoping that this will fix my problems. (MOTU interfaces have been known to have problems working properly with Dell's. I read this a while ago on the MOTU website when trying to get rid of audio dropouts - something about the Firewire port being shared with the graphics card, or something like that.)

I got exactly the same using sound card, my omputer had an inbuilt graphics chip, not a card.

Perhaps try moing your soundcard further from the graphics if possible.

Nah man. I've recorded the 808 drum samples of Rebirth rewired into Logic Platinum. Sound quality of the samples is fine. It's just when I try to sample the computer's/MOTU 828's outputs, I get a faint noise in the background (not the usual noise you get when recording analog sources) that shares some of the frequencies of some of the sounds (bass drums).

Back