Sampling breaks from Vinyl question

FrankSwift

I currently have my mixer set-up to record tracks from my turntable at just below the red light so roughly -6db when the full track is playing, but when i come to the break it is slightly more quiet. What i want to know is if there is a difference between sampling it relatively low then boosting the sample in the DAW vs. increasing the volume in the mixer for the break then turning it back down so the louder parts of the track won't be clipping?

I don't know what kind of DAW that you use, but I have an MPC renaissance. My turntable plays my records very quietly so, I have to turn the rec gain up on my mpc when I sample. I make sure that it stays under 0db so there wont be any clipping or that it won't be super loud when I start editing the sample. I hope that helps you a little bit.

Hey thanks for the response, I currently use Ableton Live so you're saying you turn it up loud but not clipping as you are recording into the MPC (Or Live in my case) rather than record quiet and boosting afterwards? will this make the sample fuller especially with drum breaks?

When i say quiet i only mean a little quieter as the mixer is set to reach just under clipping while the full track is playing, but means its a bit softer for the breaks.

Last edited:
I always sample it loud from my mixer into my daw. If you turn it up later you will also be turning up excess “noise” that might not sound good. Also it gives you more control of the volume, you won’t have to re record the break if for whatever reason u want it louder. As long as there’s no clipping when you record it in you’re good

Sample at -6 db max -3db , leave it untill mastering to gain the audio level. There is no need to work above -3db. It can only cause problems

If you were recording vinyl to tape or something, or to an old 12-bit sampler then recording level would be an issue, but as you're recording into a DAW it doesn't matter at all.

The signal-to-noise ratio is inherent in the vinyl itself. Whether you turn it up before (on the preamp) or after (with gain applied inside the DAW)

My number one tip for sampling off vinyl, is make sure the vinyl is as clean as possible. Ideally ultrasonic clean or wood glue method. That and a newish needle obviously

Back