Sampling on the beat

nervecell

Hey guys I've been a long time forum member but I think this is my first post. I've been reading these forums for a long time and have gotten good information and samples as well as learning a lot.

I have been trying to get into producing for a long time but haven't had the patience or will to actually get to learning it. I've been working on learning the basics of fruityloops and the basics of learning how to make a song.

Right now I have fruity loops 9 and trigger finger pad. Thats all I have and am trying to master both before I move onto other controllers.

Right now I am trying to make a beat MPC style kinda. I chop samples up in fruity loops and load them onto the pads and try and make a melody from it. Here is where the problem is at.

Everytime I think I have a good melody I can't ever lay a drum beat on it that sounds proper. Is it just a learning curve? Do I have to make a drum beat a certain way so it sounds good with a melody?

TLDR: Melodies are sounding weird with any drum pattern I lay. Is this all part of the learning curve or is there a method of making a drum pattern and melody sound well together.

EDIT: If someone wants to can I send my melodies that I've been working on and for someone to lay a drum beat on it just to show me that I am doing it wrong and to listen to drums with melodies I've been working on?

Last edited:
post a quick 10 second sample of what ur talking about that way we can know exactly what ur talking about and how we might assist

my favorite beats generally follow drums anyway. Id program some drums and lay chops over them

soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=913218

here are the 2 loops if anyone can lay a drum beat on them it would be awesome.

soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=913218

here are the 2 loops if anyone can lay a drum beat on them it would be awesome.
the best advice since ive been makin beats since 2003 ' i would say patience, persistance, perseverance an alot of practice-

Last edited:
I have been putting alot of work into learning trust me. Im only posting this now because this is one roadblock of mine that is taking a while to get over.

So what you are saying is that this is just part of the learning and I will get through this eventually with hard work?

The most important part of sampling is chopping your samples so that they can fit over a drum beat (assuming you arn't looping). The second is getting the right tempo. I suggest doing both manually, not using any program to do it for you. Then it gets a lot easier very quickly and you can make something every time, it is only a matter of how much you actually like the beat. Once you get it right 2-3 times, it just will always work.

I suggest you try chopping your samples in a variety of ways until you find something that works. People all have different ways of doing it and there is no right way, as long as it sounds good, it's a good way. If you know the tempo of the song, don't always trust it. When you get into chopping, sometimes it doesn't work, many times it sounds better when you adjust the tempo to the new feel you gave it. Those are the 2 key elements right there to chopped sampling, IMO.

Back