Sampling and Basslines.

kartikt

Hey,

Im wondering when i got a loop bassed sample, and I wanna cut of the low ends and replay the bassline. What is the best method of actually finding the note's for the bassline, and then actually replaying the bass on top of it. Ive been struggling to find a quick and convenient way to do this, I don't know Music Theory as well.

The only quick and convenient way to do it is with a trained ear.. I know a little self taught theory and have no problem throwing a bass below any sample or mixing samples with opposite keys and tonality together into one beat because I've taken the time to develop that ability.. It takes time unless your a natural, which I am not.

My MPC 5000 really helped my ear because i can pitch a chop up or down in real time with the sample playing underneath it.. I move it up and down until it sounds right, it's pretty easy now..

Here's another tip I figured out on my own.. it's actually a really good one and I guess it falls into the "quick and convenient" category.. Instead of trying to figure this out with a bass sound.. Try something higher pitched like a piano, your ear is more receptive towards higher frequency's. Once you figure out which notes you can and cannot use.. Try it with a bass..

Hope this helps.

The only quick and convenient way to do it is with a trained ear..

Here's another tip I figured out on my own.. it's actually a really good one and I guess it falls into the "quick and convenient" category.. Instead of trying to figure this out with a bass sound.. Try something higher pitched like a piano, your ear is more receptive towards higher frequency's. Once you figure out which notes you can and cannot use.. Try it with a bass..

^^^^^^^

Good tip :)

i select a bass but put it a couple octaves up when im trying to find the notes...makes it a lot easier. Plus I have no music theory at all

Hey,

Im wondering when i got a loop bassed sample, and I wanna cut of the low ends and replay the bassline. What is the best method of actually finding the note's for the bassline, and then actually replaying the bass on top of it. Ive been struggling to find a quick and convenient way to do this, I don't know Music Theory as well.

I feel for you...

You already KNOW what you need to do: study a little music theory. Check out "DEAN VAUGHNS CUBE FOR MUSIC THEORY." <<<ON YOUTUBE...
The Book is only 60 pages or so, with many illustrations and exercises and comes with a dvd that has animation that will help you quickly MEMORIZE how manys sharps or flats EVERY key MAJOR or MINOR has...
IT WORKED FOR ME!:cool:
Dont listen to these LAMES that will tell you you dont need some theory, become a RAP BULLY like ME!:cool:
So what that some people are born with "perfect pitch" or can easily improvise without being able to EXPLAIN how they DO IT...get your weight up, start working on your music chops with the most deadly weapon in the arsenal: THE CIRCLE OF FIFTHS!

Last edited:
Back