sampling according to chord/scale/key

F

FOTNS

OK so sampling is great and stuff.

What I wanted to ask some people is do you ever try to figure out what chord/scale/key the melody of the sample is in and then combine other samples to do a chord progression or use the harmonic feel of the chord to lay a melody on top of it - and if anyone in this "FutureProducers" forum has done this, are the results any better? I was thinking of trying that but it seems like it may just be a waste of time and the payoff may not be amazing.

Or is it absolutely necessary? Huh?

thanks for any insight

I dont combine samples from multiple records normally but I do play over and with samples and add my own harmonies, melodies, etc...

Peace

KomplexBeats said:
I dont combine samples from multiple records normally but I do play over and with samples and add my own harmonies, melodies, etc...

Peace
yea i rarely use mutiple records/samples for a track but i add my own melodies and chords also. i use wavelab or soundforge for all of my editing. but when working with fruity slicer its best to run your samples threw recycle and chop them where you want. also its best to import the exact loop or pieces you want to eliminate cunfusion and the slow loading process. i use recycle for all the end results. i use reason and fl 5 heres some of my work here. http://www.audiostreet.net/profile....0&mode=playlist

that ****s mad hard. Im getting to the point where I want to sample multiple records on top of eachother tho. only person online Ive heard do this in dope fashion is Liquid6. Dude is crazy wit his sample game.

ye i do thaat all the time man, i mean i dont actually sit there & think what scale is this in??! BUT i usually know after about five minutes. basically ill find a thing i wanna sample, then find a couple of hits to put over some parts, but of course they wont usually be in the same key. then ill decide whether i want the main sample to be minor, major or dominant & figure out the root accordingly. thyen move the hits' pitch accordingly. but then yeah, u gotta figure oput if the hits are major/minor/dominant

i dont think i've explained myself very well here! i've made it sound really complicated, but i dunno how else to put it!

& does it make it sound better?! i guess so, i always know what scale im workin in & have never done it another way so i couldnt really say, i get home on wednesday. if i remember ill put a track that was made entirely of samples on my soundclick & post the link if that will be of any use?

Im new to sampling, I don't really sample much but I was wondering if you play your own melody over a sample I suppose it has to be in the same key as the original sample right? Or does it not matter, thanks.

it can be in whatever key you want! but if the keys are different, it may sound out of key

yea i do it all the time....

i just take 2 samples in the same scale/chord and lay them on top of each other...if one of them is faster or slower...ill pick one to speed up or slow down....so that they match perfectly..

most of the time i dont purposely do it.....most of the time i run into 2 samples that just work well together...
there are times tho that i sample certain stabs or sections from anotehr song and pitch up or down and transpose notes to make it work.......

Back