Sampling in Ableton

tmoyer1215

So for the past month I have been trying to learn ableton live 8 and boy am I struggling. Im coming from using maschine as a standalone only so ableton is definitely overwhelming still. Basically I just want to be able to make a track in ableton by sampling a song but I'm not sure how to go about it.

The problem I am having is that there is so many options to slicing the sample, them being slicing it in maschine and then just using maschine as a vst but I feel like if I am using ableton I should be slicing the sample inside of it because the more options for effects and etc.

The next being warping and slicing in arrangement view then dragging the clips into session view and using maschine to trigger scenes.

Or I could set warp markers and slice the sample to a new midi track and use maschine in a drum rack template to fire the samples.

And I've read you can chop a song in ableton's actual sampler tool but Im pretty clueless on how to use that and the videos on abletons site don't talk about chopping a sample just making new sounds and etc.

I'm truely sorry for the vagueness and length of this post but I've hit a brick wall. How do you guys flip a track in ableton? What do you reccomend for me to do with maschine available?

Thanks so much for any responses

If you feel comfortable using Maschine why waste time makin your learnin curve even bigger? You might as well find some way to integrate the 2..

I chop it all in arrangement view, then slice to new midi track and most of the time i use the skibeats preset for all my slices, and then i play it out on my MPD

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

and just search youtube man there is a million videos on sampling in ableton, thats where ive learned most of my stuff and the rest just trial and error dont give up because ableton is such an amazing program!

I'm fairly new to ableton as well and also use Maschine and Reason 5. To cut down on my learning curve I basically still chop in Recycle and play it out in Reason vst. It's working well for me because while i'm not as familiar with ableton, I use it only to sequence Maschine, Reason and some vst's. It's all about finding a workflow that works for u

Back