Sampling

arcticx7

Hello!
My name is Simon and I'm interested in sampling. I am a complete beginner and know fairly little about the subject.
I have a couple of question if anyone could answer them I'd be really happy :D
1) Fl studio or ableton live?
2) What do I need for sampling except a sampler? - (vinyl player? midi?..)
3) Which would be the best budget samplers? (Around 100-150$)

1) Doesn't matter. Not sure why you discounted Logic, REAPER, pro tools, studio one etc, but they're there and you could look at them. (Would recommend REAPER if you're on a budget, it's a bit ugly in places but does just as many things as any other DAW... also limited instructions on how to do things, but that might not bother you)
2) Nothing
3) You don't actually need a sampler to sample. You can just put the sample straight into your DAW and chop it up there however you see fit. There are also loads of free software samplers, TX16Wx shortcircuit etc, plus both Ableton and FL will have one included.
Hardware samplers are fun toys, but you don't need one. There are also MIDI controllers for software samplers, if you have a hankering for real buttons.

Last edited:
If you plan on sampling from vinyl then apart from a turntable - you'll need an audio interface...
You may or may not need a phono preamp - your turntable might have one built in.

Then visit every one of your mates parents houses and raid their attics... Hope it ain't all country...

A lot of people sample from YouTube (among other places) - copy the link - drop the link in a 'YouTube 2 MP3' converter (loads of them), convert to WAV (I use Audacity when I do this) and drop the wav into your daw/sampler and start chopping.

I use Maschine as my sampler and Studio One as my DAW but Scrapheaper's right... Any DAW can take on the role... I'd go with Ableton if I were starting again with a a view to picking up PUSH2 (If I had the cash - I'd do it anyway - but I've other studio priorities first)

I would not get a hardware sample to be honest with you.
I started on it but the capabilities of software samplers are much more advanced and software works faster and you can get way trickier results with it.

Last edited:
Hi Simon, I'm Eloy(Ex Oblivione)

well for Sampling a song just need TOO much pacience and obviously a Software. well i use one of my proyects as example ;) well look that this

sample.png
and sounds like that:

(sorry for my english,i'm sleepless xD)

Last edited:
Hi Simon, look i remember when i was a beginner and i didn't know much about sampling it was hard to learn!!!
my advice to you is

1) ABLETON.
you may spent a bit more money at first but Ableton is more professional and also easier to understand. FLstudio interface is really complicated, in my opinion!!!

2) For SAMPLING, you don't necessarily need a sampler as a piece of hardware, these day you can just sample everything you want on your DAW (music production software), in this contest Ableton. Is a lot easier just doing it on the computer. U could use a MPC as a sampler but trust me much easier on the PC.

3)MONEY. you find real bargains on the internet so trust me don't never walk into a music store if you want cheap stuff. The internet will be your money saver!!!!! just look around and trust me you'll find a bargain somewhere .

1 - I've never used FL studio but am a big supporter of Ableton. Excellent flow and super simple to sample. Drag audio from iTunes, Desktop, wherever into a sampler (either the Ableton 'simpler' or 'sampler') and you're set!
2- If you want to save money, stick with just your laptop. Otherwise you can buy an MPC, SP, Electribe and sample from your computer or a vinyl (which means you need to buy a record player and vinyl)
3 - that's a low budget, but ebay or craiglist will turn up some cool results

Back