Sampling!

choo

Peace everyone i just want to talk about you sampling and some issues that I ran across in my days of sampling other peoples records. Coming up in the north when hip hop was booming I was producing and making beats daily, i mean everyday using some of the hottest samples ever! Even til this day, I love sampling and playing instruments together. One of the things that local artists get nervous about is not being able to get samples cleared. From my experience i have tried numerous times to get samples cleared and no luck. Alot of labels will turn you down anyway unless you have alot of dough, distribution and good representation. I mentor alot of up and coming producers to just go ahead and keep creating not worrying about a lawsuit unless you start moving alot of units, I mean thousands of units! If you are producing record for a major artists the label will take care of the sample clearance process and you most likely will have to split royalties etc.basically break them off some $$
My experience with the "Tupac" "Hold On Be Strong" record I used a snippet of Anita Baker's vocals and she denied any clearance from me and Pac, so we had to x her vocal off on the record and Interscope still released it. Now, Earth, Wind & Fire was real cool about me sampling their music. Tupac had bumped into a few of the members in a elevetor in California and mention to them that he have a producer from VA (me) that want to use a piece of their music and they said, Ok no problem! Just have your record label contact our people and get it all cleared and that was that! I ended up giving EW&F 30% of my publishing which was cool! Also on the Ghostface Killah "Malcolm" record I sample Malcolm X and the same procedure took place I had to give up some publishing. Alot of people today don't sample as much because they don't want to break bread. Back then records was selling alot of units so it didn't matter because everyone was making money.So in a nut shell, you have to give up something to get something. If you are a beatmaker and love sampling do you and don't sweat the issue that you may get sued. In most cases, the record don't get major attention anyway.

You can find me at www.producersbeatauction.com Check me out!

Is there a way to copyright/derivative copyright a beat containing samples (without clearing them first) just to protect beat jacking?

Well i when i copyright my beats i copyright the whole track and to really protect the idea of the beat but technically you can't copyright anyone else material without permission. So like I said in the article just do you and you will be fine. Did you subscribe to my site? Its for producers and artists to network and we do live events here in Atlanta "Producers Beat Auction" check it out www.producersbeatauction.com

I don't get the whole records not selling thing. Sure rap records in 2011 aren't selling like they did in 2002 but they are selling the same as they were in 1992. What that means to me is hip hop hit its peak in popularity between 1998 and 2006. Which I have felt for years and now since its not pop like it used to be ppl act like records cant/wont/dont sell.

Back