Samples and Mono/Stereo...???

Chew_Bear

I noticed that some of my samples are in STEREO (different sounds in left and right / Panning Effect) and some are MONO (same sound thru out).

1. Does the difference between mono and stereo have anything to do with how I am supposed to chop/edit or manipulate the sample...?

2. Will I see 2 waveforms (left & right) for a stereo sample and 1 waveform for a mono sample in my DAW...???

3. Is there a way to convert samples from stereo to mono if I don't like the 'panning effect' but still want the 'original' sound...???

1) not at all

2) yes and yes

3) you can fold the stereo to a mono version using any reasonable tool such as audacity

Here's one out of my sampling notebook, a while back I developed a technique for using one channel to chop another that you might find interesting, basically I take a mono track like some vocals which lack the transients for beat detection software to work with and I record another mono track in my DAW (Cubase) with the transients I want to use to chop the vocals (sometimes it helps to slow things down for this) I can record this transient track by tapping in or popping into a microphone beat box style etc wherever I want my cuts to be, then I combine these two files into a stereo track with vocals on the left and the transients on the right, then I open them shits in ReCycle where I ditch the channel with the vocals leaving just the transient channel, I then use beat detection to set and lock the markers on that channel's transients, then I hit undo to bring back the vocal track and then I get rid of the transient track....I now have my vocals chopped up without all that tedious mousing around bullshit ya dig?

Back