Samples From Dirty Vinyl

G

GetMondo99

What's positive?

I have a looped sample with very heavy dirt. Is there any methods i can do to help reduce the crackling? I tried EQ'ing but it doesnt seem to help too much. All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

GetMondo99 said:
What's positive?

I have a looped sample with very heavy dirt. Is there any methods i can do to help reduce the crackling? I tried EQ'ing but it doesnt seem to help too much. All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Do you have the original piece you took the sample off? If so, I'd start there. If the vinyl's merely dirty rather than seriously damaged you could just give it a good clean.

If the sample only requires the lower frequency sounds you could try some heavy-handed filtering.

If it's just a few sparse pops, you could use the pop/click remover in Cool Edit to fix it. Hopefully your sampler has the ability to transfer to a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean the vinyl first thing to avoid losing sound. Then you can use adobe audition (cool edit) and use the noise reduction function to remove most of the clicks and pops. I do that but it does take away from the recording

I downloaded the loop from the internet. I do not own the original record therefore i cant re-record. I'll try doing some filtering. Thanks for the feedback.

couple things.

1. Clean the vinyl.

2. Record in the highest res.

3. Noise Gate the recording

4. Use cleaning software (Waves Restoration Kit, Soundsoap, SonicFoundry)

5. Edit the pops out, zoom in in an editing program and delete the pop, then add some noise in the gap. just copy from a quiet area in the sample.

6. EQ it, use a parametric with a tight Q

7. Resample it in software. Pitchshift 75% (make sure its shorter) than Timestretch in a smooth setting 'high', back to the same length.render. then Timestretch in a smooth setting 'high', down 75%. Pitchshift 75% (make sure its longer)
Should be the same length and the same pitch when your done. take practice. This will remove drums too. does't really mess then voice well

Start with digging for the "record" and the **** with an mp3..

Then you can go from there..

GetMondo99 said:
I downloaded the loop from the internet.

It's probably not off an actual piece. A CD rip with some corny, overly loud "Vinyl effect" filter stapled into it......

You could always find a better copy of the record. A little eq in the high-mid to high freq area will remove some of it but not a lot. Use a tight Q.

Good Lookin' out fellas. I wish i knew the name of the original song so i can go dig for it.

GetMondo99 said:
What's positive?

F*ck it throw the sample away-n-move on. I've been there, I feel ya pain.

Back