Sampler's Paradise.

Digging is most definitely a landmark in hip hop.

digging is a hobby many hip hop producers have in common that they like to promote as essential to hip hop. Digging was around before hip hop and it'll be around after. Now the sampling part is an important part of hip hop history but not the digging.

There's a lot of good points on this thread(I know it's over a year old) but there really is no wrong way of sampling. I love the 'good old days' but let's be honest, it's a new era. And if a cat wants to sample off mp3 or youtube or e-dig or google samples then so be it. As long as people have an understanding and respect the history and the art of sampling(more importantly the music) I don't see anything wrong with it.

I don't like it, personally. Half the fun of sampling is digging around to see what you can find. Someone telling you where good samples can be found only narrows your scope for doing new and interesting things. If you ask me, anything audio can be a good sample it just needs the right skill to do something with it, like how a large block of wood can be any kind of furniture. You just gotta know how to wittle it down, yo.

Digital Diggin is simply more efficient. You will def find more gems diggin in the crates. Depends on what you enjoy and how you wanna spend your time. Subscribing to this elitist digging mentality is really stupid and plain ignorant. Its 2012... things are changing.

I'm am tired of these arrogant young new producers who have no respect for history. I wouldn't consider myself old either I'm 27. Resources are great but some people simply disrespect the art. If you want to make beats fine make beats but where are the fans of music? How many people sell beats but would never pay for music themselves? Or even better the kids that steal their music making software and then get mad at people for stealing their beats.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

nothing thats one of the beauties of technology but at the same time the bad part is that kids have 8 terabytes of music they downloaded and wouldn't otherwise listen to if they weren't trying to sample it. They aren't fans of music and don't respect the music they sample they just want to make beats for rappers and found this way to be an easier route since their stolen software does most of the work for them.

---------- Post added 12-02-2010 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-01-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------

The idea of digging and sampling was to find that rare loop though. It was finding it and showing it to the world. At some point this newer generation has turned it from finding something new and showing it to the world and has turned it into well what did u do to the loop. Thats also why so many classic hip hop records are loops.

Great Post. No one of these producers who dont digg in the crates, know what limits is. If you have only 2 Records which you bought in the Store today and you wanna make a beat with only these records it has limits, you only have this 2 Records, so you dont have 1000 of songs where you can go if you cant make a beat with these records so you are limited and so you must be creativ to make a good beat. this is also an form of art working with the limits you have. But its easier to youtube a new song if you could make a beat with the song you tried.

One of the creative things about a sample based producer is using a sample that not many others have even considered using. Or using a sample in a way that nobody ever saw coming. When artistic methods and supplies become easily accessible, the appreciation and respect for the artform decreases dramatically. Get off your ass and get your fingers dusty.

One of the creative things about a sample based producer is using a sample that not many others have even considered using. Or using a sample in a way that nobody ever saw coming. When artistic methods and supplies become easily accessible, the appreciation and respect for the artform decreases dramatically. Get off your ass and get your fingers dusty.
I completely agree with you that there are way too many people with access to methods and supplies, people just dont appreciated the artform enough. However it shouldn't matter how many people use a sample, if you are truly talented and have established your style, your use of that one sample will be distinguished and unique from other producers. The thing is things evolve, it's the only way they stay alive, it's called progress. True some people may still like to dig but any producer who does not use what is readily available to them isn't keeping it the art form alive. Producers then had records, now kids have other options. I have a record shop not to far from my place, thrift stores are also dope, but not everyone has these things readily available. Work with what you have and thats REAL.

do what now?

so...you're saying we're supposed to appreciate music AND be creative? Is there a way to skip ahead to the part where i'm just filthy rich with a Maybach

Tag me in. All I want to say say is "When did it become cool for cats to share their sample sources with anyone not in their crew?" In the 90's when i was in high school (class of 98), nobody ever gave anything up. You didn't ask a cat you didn't know. If you had the same joint as someone else and they killed it..............you put your beat in the archives and kept it moving. We had respect. How could I respect a cat if everytime he cops a dope loop, he gives it to you and your man and the entire internet. At most a cat would tell you who made it but not the title, or, the title but not who made it. This would be more fun for everyone if there was some mystery involved. When I hear the original, your skills get laid out there naked, and I'll know how creative you really are. Leave me hanging and I might spend a couple nights pondering that joint.

diggin is a part of hip hop because it started with the djs finding the rarest breaks at parties. this was before rap was big whe the only rapping was with your homies or at the party. digging has been a part of hip hop longer than sampling. that other guy needs a history lesson.

not tryin to be an a** but why is it that ppl don't like diggin anymore? To me there's nothing iller then goin to ur local record shop, finding a dope looking record or a nice soul joint n then going home and listen and try to find nice samples....why would u ever wanna just go and buy a popular loop that anyone can cop. Damn, the art of sampling and digging is fading, ppl need to wake up and start appreciating the art and culture of hip hop again!

Not to mention i buy most my records cuz i enjoy listening to soul music or just music in general for that matter. Why do so many ppl only try to find music with there only intention is to sample it...start appreciating music again.

digging on the net for songs to sample is sort of the same thing as digging minus the part where you physically go and dig. Also i appreciate every piece of music that comes through my hands. Ijs

digging on the net for songs to sample is sort of the same thing as digging minus the part where you physically go and dig. Also i appreciate every piece of music that comes through my hands. Ijs

What you basically just said is "It's just like digging, except it's not like digging at all."

I feel like most people (on here at least) go into "e-digging" with the mindset that they're gonna go find dope samples in the most efficient way possible. With actual cratedigging, you put much more time and thought into the entire process of finding and creating your own music/sound. Of course, don't be stupid, sample everything you can use from everywhere you can find it.

As far as sharing samples I've personally used, yeah, eff that noise. I kinda see the "Flip This!" section as a kind of exception however, because most of the beats created from samples in that section are solely for either practice or just showing off.

Summary:
- Cratedigging as an experience and catalyst for growth > E-digging
- Sharing samples is wack

Back