(As a sampler) Do you ever?...

Not everyone knows how to write proper english. Some of us like to use slang plus we all make mistakes and fail to proof read our sh*t. So be it.

Let's get back to the wonderful world of sampling.

basixxx said:
Not everyone knows how to write proper english. Some of us like to use slang plus we all make mistakes and fail to proof read our sh*t. So be it.

Let's get back to the wonderful world of sampling.
in the land of the greatest educational system in the world there is no reason to not know how to write proper english niggas need to take their asses to class this is exactly what Cosby was talkin bout and this is what happens people make the excuse o well we dont know how to that wouldnt happen had u applied urself to learnin it

Xabiton said:
Come on now guy. This is the internet. Granted I can't understand why people purposely misspell words. That **** looks stupid but who really cares about a comma! That was just to show u i can do it and just dont take the time to this is free hand read it word for word stop readin like a text book this is casual not english class lol

It's mainly the lack of periods and capitalization that throws me off. Take a look at this:

"this is beyond loops too u can make one shot chops and it usually sounds better its more kuz of the sound processing and by u sayin that samples sound better is basically saying that composed tracks arent musical so which is it really lol."

I had to read this three times to understand what was being said. All I'm saying is that writing like that does not lend itself to perpetuate an open discussion in an open forum.

If people can't understand what is being said, how are we to discuss it? It's not the slang that bothers me - not at all. What bothers me is the lack of clear sentences. That type of writing is simply friggin hard to read, that's all.

Last edited:
sonus said:

If people can't understand what is being said, how are we to discuss it? It's not the slang that bothers me - not at all. What bothers me is the lack of clear sentences. That type of writing is simply friggin hard to read, that's all.

I feel ya pain bro...

Anyway....Back to the discussion.

I really have mixed feelings about the issue of sampled vs. "composed". Back when I exclusively produced dance/techno/house music, nothing was "sampled" in the sense that everything was purely original. All the melodies were created from scratch, all the beats were created from scratch.

The only thing that was sampled in these tracks were the ocassional drumloops/breaks. These usually had heavy effects applied, were chopped up and sped up/slowed down, so they were unrecognizable. They were also mainly used in the background of the mix, as a kind of filler.

Back then, I looked down upon sampling in terms of melodies. eJayers and the like weren't musicians. They just throw loops together. This isn't creating music.

In my mind, when sampling in hiphopesque genres, it all depends what you're sampling, how much you're sampling, and from how many sources. Take stuff like RJD2, Jel, and DJ Shadow, for example. I would consider that type of stuff composing. These guys are sampling from all different sources, making all this seperate pieces fit together in a shingle cohesive track. That's hard to do. On the other hand, if somebody just samples some sort of piano melody and does nothing to it in terms of cutting and rearranging, then simply throws a bassline and a beat on it, then I find it hard to say that this person is composing. They're "making a beat". If, however, somebody takes that same piano sample, chops it in such a way that you can't even tell where it came from, I call that composing.

I guess my problem is the thin line between "beatmakers" and "composers". Sometimes I find myself simply "making a beat"...I'll just throw the aforementioned beat over a sample and nod my head like, "this sounds really cool". I didn't actually make/create/compose a song, though. Such a track can't stand on it's own...it'll get boring. Most of the time I strive to create something new and fresh from a sample, progressively adding my own elements so that I'm truly "composing" the track.

That being said, I feel that not every track fits into those two categories that easily. If you take a look at my track "Contrition", for example (click the sig), I would say that I simply "made a beat". Although I spent lots of time and effort on making that sample sound the way I wanted, it's basically just a beat, bass, and piano thrown over a sample. The thing is that I arranged it in such a way that the track stands on its own (the reviews I got on this site and others attest to that).

If you take a look at "Mindblowing", you'll hear a track that is fully composed by me, yet it has samples (mainly the beginning horn stabs). I wouldn't call this track a "sampled track", though. I don't even know where those horn stabs come from. I found them on a drum sample cd that I purchased (don't ask me why they were there). I arranged them, did the beat, bass, effects, etc. and came up with an original track. This is slightly different from "Contrition", where I looped long sections of a sample, then composed the beat, bass, and piano.

In sum, my feeling is that there is a really thin line between what I like to call "beat making" and "composing" when it comes to sample tracks. It really depends on what you do with sample.

I hope that wasn't too long-winded.

-Sonus

Last edited:
Well I myself as a producer perform a combination of what you are speaking of.

Sometimes I sample 4 bars of something, loop it, and drop a beat to it. Then other times I chop my samples and change them into something totally different.

So I believe that most "beat makers" work this way as well.

sonus said:
Anyway....Back to the discussion.

I really have mixed feelings about the issue of sampled vs. "composed". Back when I exclusively produced dance/techno/house music, nothing was "sampled" in the sense that everything was purely original. All the melodies were created from scratch, all the beats were created from scratch.

The only thing that was sampled in these tracks were the ocassional drumloops/breaks. These usually had heavy effects applied, were chopped up and sped up/slowed down, so they were unrecognizable. They were also mainly used in the background of the mix, as a kind of filler.

Back then, I looked down upon sampling in terms of melodies. eJayers and the like weren't musicians. They just throw loops together. This isn't creating music.

In my mind, when sampling in hiphopesque genres, it all depends what you're sampling, how much you're sampling, and from how many sources. Take stuff like RJD2, Jel, and DJ Shadow, for example. I would consider that type of stuff composing. These guys are sampling from all different sources, making all this seperate pieces fit together in a shingle cohesive track. That's hard to do. On the other hand, if somebody just samples some sort of piano melody and does nothing to it in terms of cutting and rearranging, then simply throws a bassline and a beat on it, then I find it hard to say that this person is composing. They're "making a beat". If, however, somebody takes that same piano sample, chops it in such a way that you can't even tell where it came from, I call that composing.

I guess my problem is the thin line between "beatmakers" and "composers". Sometimes I find myself simply "making a beat"...I'll just throw the aforementioned beat over a sample and nod my head like, "this sounds really cool". I didn't actually make/create/compose a song, though. Such a track can't stand on it's own...it'll get boring. Most of the time I strive to create something new and fresh from a sample, progressively adding my own elements so that I'm truly "composing" the track.

That being said, I feel that not every track fits into those two categories that easily. If you take a look at my track "Contrition", for example (click the sig), I would say that I simply "made a beat". Although I spent lots of time and effort on making that sample sound the way I wanted, it's basically just a beat, bass, and piano thrown over a sample. The thing is that I arranged it in such a way that the track stands on its own (the reviews I got on this site and others attest to that).

If you take a look at "Mindblowing", you'll hear a track that is fully composed by me, yet it has samples (mainly the beginning horn stabs). I wouldn't call this track a "sampled track", though. I don't even know where those horn stabs come from. I found them on a drum sample cd that I purchased (don't ask me why they were there). I arranged them, did the beat, bass, effects, etc. and came up with an original track. This is slightly different from "Contrition", where I looped long sections of a sample, then composed the beat, bass, and piano.

In sum, my feeling is that there is a really thin line between what I like to call "beat making" and "composing" when it comes to sample tracks. It really depends on what you do with sample.

I hope that wasn't too long-winded.

-Sonus
and after all of that its still just a beat. ur thinkin too hard about this one it aint really important if its composed or sampled as long as its good. I could careless if u looped Madonna or if u looped some Chinese chick that people in China never even heard of if it sounds good its good u can chop foriegn music to hell or loop the isleys as long as it sounds good its good music the end

Xabiton said:
and after all of that its still just a beat. ur thinkin too hard about this one it aint really important if its composed or sampled as long as its good. I could careless if u looped Madonna or if u looped some Chinese chick that people in China never even heard of if it sounds good its good u can chop foriegn music to hell or loop the isleys as long as it sounds good its good music the end

You've missed my point. I sometimes like to make actual "songs", not simply "beats". There's a difference there. As I've said before, a song can stand on it's own and doesn't need the support of an MC to be interesting. A beat, in my opinion, is a lower form. I like to make beats (sample something, loop it, throw a beat over it and just nod your head). Try taking that beat and giving it enough character where it can stand alone.

That's what I'm talking about. The thin line between "beatmaking" and "composing" is related to the line between "beats" and "songs".

sonus said:

It's mainly the lack of periods and capitalization that throws me off. Take a look at this:

"this is beyond loops too u can make one shot chops and it usually sounds better its more kuz of the sound processing and by u sayin that samples sound better is basically saying that composed tracks arent musical so which is it really lol."

I had to read this three times to understand what was being said. All I'm saying is that writing like that does not lend itself to perpetuate an open discussion in an open forum.

im not seein what a period and comprehension have anything to do with one another. maybe its kuz when i read, i read it as if the person was really speakin. i kinda see the periods by default even if they dont use them i actually have to think about doing it when im on a board kuz im so used to just doin it freehand. i dont even think about periods

sonus said:

You've missed my point. I sometimes like to make actual "songs", not simply "beats". There's a difference there. As I've said before, a song can stand on it's own and doesn't need the support of an MC to be interesting. A beat, in my opinion, is a lower form. I like to make beats (sample something, loop it, throw a beat over it and just nod your head). Try taking that beat and giving it enough character where it can stand alone.

That's what I'm talking about. The thin line between "beatmaking" and "composing" is related to the line between "beats" and "songs".
i get ur point im just sayin that u can compose a beat. its all beats in the end but ur right about givin a beat enough character to stand on its own. i dont work for that im lookin to be MC friendly kuz my goal is to have an MC on it I only think in terms of songs

I think that sampling is an essential part of hiphop and thats mostly what i do...but the feeling that you get from composing and putting together a complete song is crazy.

mobay said:
I think that sampling is an essential part of hiphop and thats mostly what i do...but the feeling that you get from composing and putting together a complete song is crazy.

A song can be composed w/samples right? In my opinion there is nothing better the sound of a nice sample. Samples give your music warmth. Keyboards and sound modules are cool but the sounds are too clean.

I have a Fantom,and it's the **** as far as being a complete studio. I love using it to layer samples with keyboard sounds. That's what I do, I might find a dope sample and put it in there, or make a keyboard beat and add in a fitting sample. But essentially, if you think about it, every producer uses samples, whether it's a live instrument or something they did on a KB. Wouldn't getting a sample basically be the equivalent to having a studio musician play the part?

Generic White Boy said:
I have a Fantom,and it's the **** as far as being a complete studio. I love using it to layer samples with keyboard sounds. That's what I do, I might find a dope sample and put it in there, or make a keyboard beat and add in a fitting sample. But essentially, if you think about it, every producer uses samples, whether it's a live instrument or something they did on a KB. Wouldn't getting a sample basically be the equivalent to having a studio musician play the part?
the difference between getting a studio musician and using a sample is that samples are already headed in 1 direction. its not like ur starting from scratch. as a sampler i hate it when other samplers make the excuse that composers use samples unless they play the parts themselves on the actual instruments. thats an ignorant arguement we all know what the term composing a beat means stop trying to rearrange it to make urself feel better.

Xabiton said:
the difference between getting a studio musician and using a sample is that samples are already headed in 1 direction. its not like ur starting from scratch. as a sampler i hate it when other samplers make the excuse that composers use samples unless they play the parts themselves on the actual instruments. thats an ignorant arguement we all know what the term composing a beat means stop trying to rearrange it to make urself feel better.

What the **** are you talking about? i wasn't putting forth an argument I was merely stating fact. No matter what kind of beat you make (keyboard, or other), you are using samples. if you aren't, then where did the keyboard sounds come from? This is a stupid conversation obviously since I do in fact make keyboard beats. Why would I insult a group I am a part of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Generic White Boy said:

What the **** are you talking about? i wasn't putting forth an argument I was merely stating fact. No matter what kind of beat you make (keyboard, or other), you are using samples. if you aren't, then where did the keyboard sounds come from? This is a stupid conversation obviously since I do in fact make keyboard beats. Why would I insult a group I am a part of?
then i appologize i misunderstood u kuz from the sounds of it it looked as if u was downin cats

Generic White Boy said:

I consider samples and real time synthesis two different things. Of course, you can 'sample' your synths......

But whatever.

:-)

Well I prefer composing beats from scratch, but I'm recently getting into sampling (which I'm not very good at)

Well, I'm not very good at either aha

Back