Sampled Beats feel boxed in on Stereo Spectrum

apexxhiphop

Hello everyone, I was wondering why do my sampled beats feel so boxed in? They dont feel wide at all. I was looking around for some mixing tips and one thing that kind of gets the sound im looking for is when I duplicate the sample track, and pan the 2 tracks with the same exact sample at different values to the left and right and that gives me the 'wideness/fullness', im just wondering what techniques do you guys use to get your sampled beats to sound so full cause I know your limited the the audio source and I dont think songs back then really had all that wideness and fullness to them when it came to the mix. Or maybe its because some of the samples I turn them to mono for various reasons such as some instruments are panned so hard to the left/right i have no choice but to.

Anyways, im rambling now, JUST looking for some insight, help, and tips. Thanks

I was looking around for some mixing tips and one thing that kind of gets the sound im looking for is when I duplicate the sample track, and pan the 2 tracks with the same exact sample at different values to the left and right and that gives me the 'wideness/fullness'
Wouldn't recommend this, you'll get phase issues. Unless of course you have thought of moving the other channel a few milliseconds forward so they don't play exactly at the same time.

When you make your samples mono, there is only one channel left and naturally there isn't any "wideness" to them. Try using a delay, or a little bit of reverb. Or some stereo widener, for example Voxengo's Stereo Touch, it's free.

Sounds like you need to learn how to mix overall. One thing alota ppl on here needa do lol. First off every beat is different, every sample is different, & every mix is different. Just had ta say that, get it outta tha way.... A good compressor will achieve the sound I'm lookin for most the time. If you did use one of those Stereo-izer type plugins I just wouldn't go crazy wit it. If an artist got on it they'd prly have to compete with it lol. Just learn mixin man.. From some REPUTABLE sources. Don't ask noone on here go out Google/YouTube & FIND the information. Cause half the ppl on here ain't gon tell you sh!t tbh.

Back