Sample Whore...???

When downloading free samples like I am doing now....

Some sites/downloads come with both WAV and AIFF samples/files and to me seems redundant and essentially gives me a duplicate that I don't need.

Does it matter which one I choose...???

Can I delete the AIFF files and keep the WAV's if thats what I prefer or like...???

Yes.. There's no difference other than compatibility. And if wav's are working for you then you have no reason to have aiff's of the same files.

Agreed with ToneMahone! It's always fun finding new sounds/samples but don't forget your main purpose! Get in the studio and use them instead of spending too much time over-stocking. Some advice is work with the samples you got already and wait a couple weeks or even months before searching for more. Once you've gone through all the tracks you've used and all the samples you decided weren't as good, then start searching for more and re-stock your artillery. :cool:

Depends on the producer. . . Some do a lot more sampling than others, some organize different, etc. There's not really a rule for it.

I personally sample quite a bit but don't go to much effort to organize them due to Ableton and Finder having search functions. . . Saves me a lot of time. I def recommend starting to utilize search functions and not getting hung up on spending hours organizing/renaming samples if you're not wanting to do that.

Agreed with ToneMahone! It's always fun finding new sounds/samples but don't forget your main purpose! Get in the studio and use them instead of spending too much time over-stocking. Some advice is work with the samples you got already and wait a couple weeks or even months before searching for more. Once you've gone through all the tracks you've used and all the samples you decided weren't as good, then start searching for more and re-stock your artillery. :cool:

Well guys....I am HAPPY to say that after a month of on/off downloading free samples...

I am finally done!!! (for now) hehe lol.

After all said and done...51 GB's of sounds/samples, songs and Free VST's !!!!!!! :bigeyes::victory:;) Ranges are anywhere from FX, TV, Movies, some genre kits, drum kits, one shots, loops, instruments, sound design and much much more.

Your totally right though. I gotta stop over-stocking and start putting these samples to work/use.

The SAD part is...30% of these samples are probably good and useful. The other 70% is just garbage/filler.

Now comes the HARD part. Naming, organization and Editing/Auditioning.

My file folder structure is about 50% where I ultimately want it to be. Don't even get me started on the file naming convention. That's gonna take at least a month if I decide to do it on/off.

Thanks guys for ALL the support, tips, suggestions and help.

You guys ROCK!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Back