Sample Volume in a Mix?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys quick question, how would you compare your sample volume to other stuff such as drums and bass drums and what not in your mix? Speaking sample based hip hop here. I am trying to figure out if my sample should be like as loud as and even with the drums or should it be louder than the drums or lower? Any feedback much appreciated thanks a lot

dude, I guess this is not a exact science, know what I mean? you can be sampling like some notes of a keyboard, or a song with drums, bass, guitar, horns and all of that stuff. try listening to some beats and figure out what the producer did there. try messing around with the volume, eq and compression of your sample and stuff, see what fits better to your beat. It's possible that i'm just tripping here, but it's all about feeling bro. peace!

great response thanks a lot! I'm not exactly looking for a formula just I am having a hard time figuring out whether sometimes my drums are too loud vs the sample or too low. Just curious. It seems like a lot of producers that sample make the sample as loud as they can

it always helps to get someone elses ears to have a listen...a trained ear is good but the perspective of anyone is good as well.

sometimes we get all wrapped up in the beat and overthink and/or become a distorted witness so to speak. obviously the person that made the beat is biased, you know. mongopusher pretty much summed it up and sometimes applying subtle effects or mixing techniques to your sample will make it blend/get along better with your drum track.

I don't think there's really any real answer for this. It depends on the sample and how you want to use it in your beat. It can be background ambiance with focus on drums, or you can have it in the forefront and mix it in with your beat. Get opinions from other people and see what sounds best, experience can go a long way.

Back