Sample Technique

TDOT

What up FP?

So everyones telling me to just find inviduals sounds or loop points throughout songs to use, instead of finding a perfect 4 bar loop and chopping it evenly over 16 pads.

That's cool, I tried it out last night, but when you do that,
do you just go through the whole song and find samples and loops or do you first find say 8 bars of the song you love or want to sample from, truncate the rest so the sample isn't so long and then from there within those 8 bars chop it up how you want?

When making a loop I tend to calculate the loop length in relation to the tempo because it is extremely fast and deadly accurate, however if I calculated and chopped the correct position of each 16th so they line up accurately with the project grid there is no guarantee that the swung notes of the original recording will conform to each slice, so it's often best to slice by ear.

Alrigh cool that sounds good,
How is it that you calculate the loop in the lenght?

For a one bar loop length.

240/BPM=loop length in seconds.

So...240/120BPM=2 seconds.

240/95BPM=2.526 seconds.

If you want more bars multiply the answer and if you want to go the other way just divide.

Are there any good sampling tutorials or books or videos that anyone would recommend? I deal with some of the same issues as the OP when sampling.

Back