Sample+Synth? Any suggestions?

uptown1012

UptoWn
Im having a tough time mixing my samples with my synths. This would probably be easier if I had an example of what im working with.... but I don't. (Ill post somethin when i get home.) Does anybody have any suggestions or techniques that they use?

I think getting two sounds to layer nicely ontop of each other is one of the hardest things to do as a producer and I guess like most things experience with doing it is the best way to get better.

Thanks for the feedback. I was gonna use like a light string synth over the sample. Btw the example in in my signature if you would like to check it out.

Personally, I rarely mix synth and sample melodies together. This means like, a full on 4-8 bar synth loop with a 4-8 bar sample loop. If I mix a synth with a sample, the synth is usually just an add on, with the sample being the main backbone of the song. OR, a lot of the time I have a sample for the verse and a synth for the chorus.

It's definitely hard to mix the two though. I'd recommend listening to Kanye and Drake for examples of doing it successfully. In general, use reverb. Level it similarly to the sample. EQ it. Make sure the notes are in key with the sample.

The only time I mess with putting synths on my sampled beats is for the bassline. A nice thick saw bass once and awhile but anything other that I try to stay away from. I know a bunch of cats that will add organ or piano chords and it sounds dope.

Back