Sample sources?

GWNL

What types of genres do you like to sample? What types of instruments fit best with Hip-Hop music? Also, HOW do you sample?

I personally think there is no right or wrong way to make music, to me if it sounds good it sounds good ya know, but with that being said my favorite genre's to sample are 70's - 80's soul music, Classical music, and blues. These genre's seem to fit hip hop really well. Hope this helps take care!

i usually go whosampled.com and click random and then check out who kanye sampled. then i put the artist on youtube and browser a bit. ive found some ill things

i usually go whosampled.com and click random and then check out who kanye sampled. then i put the artist on youtube and browser a bit. ive found some ill things

GWNL, I'm not even sure if that was a troll post or not, due to it's vague nature, but if you are a fan of hiphop, then you know anything goes. There are no set instruments, there is no rules and sample sources can range from a single percussion hit from an afro-funk band to a drum roll/break from an 80s glam rock hair band...it's really about investing the time into finding things and ideas that perhaps no one has done before...

...or at least taking known samples and applying innovative ideas.

As to HOW to sample, there are stickie posts/tutorials around the site for questions such as this.

good luck and have fun.

p.s. (it takes a lot of time...this turns most people off):cry:

i'd say the most popular form of sampling today is grabbing some samples from earlier decades 60s,70s,80s and giving them a modern hip hop feel.

i sample everything i can find, a lot of vinyl but also mp3. sometimes i record my own samples, like the sound of a closing door of a car and layer it with a snare. if you're creative, it doesn't matter where the sample is from.

I sample myself on keys and guitar. I'm self taught on those instruments so don't expect epic chords. But with a sampler to chop and rearrange stuff, they certainly can sound epic. :)

Back