Sample Quality !

K

KenSpliffeyJr

What's good FP ??????????

How do you guys get the best quality out of song you want to sample ?

I got a Numark USB turntable that I dropped $150 for (on sale). For the most part the sampling quality is pretty good. But for a good portion of my 45 records that are almost 40 years old the sound is pretty bad. Im guessing the records themselves are too beat up to sound good.

Since the quality is bad for some of my records, I will usually Youtube the song, and try to download it somewhere. But sometimes the quality is pretty shittty also when it plays through Itunes. Any ideas or techniques on how I can get the best quality ?

Also, I came across records that are pretty rare and are not on youtube. All I have is the record itself that playback through my speakers with a heavy hiss. I dont mind the pop and ticks, but there is a humming hissing sound that is just pretty wack and frustrating. Any software out there that any of you recommend ? Is audacity an option ?

Man some times the crappy quality of the samples sound nice with the rest of the song. Especially if the bad quality id because of the age of the record. Youtube downloads usually are in the shittiest quality. What helps, sometimes, is using a program like Audacity, and capturing the audio from the song as it plays through your speakers. You can get pretty close to listening quality that way.

yhea rather than download try sample straight from youtube, but the quailty is still gonna be ass..for records I use a fiber brush to clean them first, then filter an EQ in cubase to remove anything horriable. also, I use to have a crappy TT, upgraded to a seim decent with a high end amp and stylus and there was a big improvment.

If it's like really bad quality in a way that I can't sample it, I'll usually buy another copy (if I can find one) or don't sample it at all (I hate it when that happens). When there is a lot of crackling I will sample it, it gives the beat a gritty sound (I love that).

Back