To "sample" or "not to sample"......

Most of the time I sample individual chords off of whatever or run shit through a wavetable synth. At the end of the day the sound that I create off of a sample barely has anything to do with the original sound anymore. The sample is just a base wave I use to create my sound, much like your typical sawtooth on whatever synth you play. So I don't see how sampling is "stealing" given I could easily play the chords myself if I chose to.

To me it's only "stealing" when when you literally sample 8 bars, loop em, put a drum and snare underneath and then brag about it being your song. Not that rappin on loops is stealing in my eyes... it's more the act of being dishonest about it. Just call it a cover and it's all good.

Last edited:
Sampling is cool, but shouldnt be your main focus as a producer...Its all about ORIGINALITY!!

I don't want to sound like a jackass, but I'll decide for myself what my main focus should be :) This conversation has been had since the beginning of sampling, it all comes down to how much of a new interpretation you can give a song.

Just make good music, most people won't ever hear the song that you sampled, so if it is a good song its like you are showing them a good song and there is nothing wrong with that. Just make the music as dope as possible and if u sample you should give credits I guess.
But why should you put limits on yourself, if u make dope sampled beats why shouldn't you do sampled beats?

In the end of the day you probably do it because you like doing it and because you like hearing it.

Back