Sample noob.. (Sampling your own sounds in key)

frankbrb

Hi,

I have been makin music for long time.. But with sampling I am new.. My question is when sampling your own sounds to play chromatically across the keyboard does it work like this -

You sample the sound and then place the sound on root note C3 and it becomes c? And then you stretch it out across your sampler for example kontakt and it works all the notes in right key?

Or do you have to find the key of the sampled sound then transpose it to c3 then place on c3? Is there any video tutorials to help me with this process I am really interested to make sampled sounds i can play chromatically from the voice and from objects around the house.

Any help welcome

thanks you

go to this site GVST - GTune and download Gtune... I'm assuming you're sampling notes so you can play them out right?

I'll assume that you are using FL studio. Use GTune as an effect on the channel on the channel you are using the sample on. You'll notice that when you play C, Gtune might say that you are playing Ab or E or something. Just nudge the pitch of of the sample down or up the amount of semitones needed and you'll have it tuned real nice. Then you can have it play chromatically across the screen.

Sorry for the late reply. I always visit the sampling and digging section, but it gets super boring and I leave before I even read most of this shit.

Tell me if you don't understand. It might help if you mention which DAW you are using.

Oh yeah, the other reason nobody was gonna answer you is cause this is an old question that has been getting answered. Dudes get tired bruh.

go to this site and download Gtune... I'm assuming you're sampling notes so you can play them out right?

I'll assume that you are using FL studio. Use GTune as an effect on the channel on the channel you are using the sample on. You'll notice that when you play C, Gtune might say that you are playing Ab or E or something. Just nudge the pitch of of the sample down or up the amount of semitones needed and you'll have it tuned real nice. Then you can have it play chromatically across the screen.

Sorry for the late reply. I always visit the sampling and digging section, but it gets super boring and I leave before I even read most of this shit.

Tell me if you don't understand. It might help if you mention which DAW you are using.

Oh yeah, the other reason nobody was gonna answer you is cause this is an old question that has been getting answered. Dudes get tired bruh.

Thank you. Yea I searched I couldn't find many threads if you can link me to some I would be grateful.. I use cubase with kontakt. So i got that part down now im curious about tuning chops to key and transposing chords to key?

Thanks!!

Don't really have the time but just keep going back in the forums and you'll see them... Especially here since many men have been asking what you were asking. Now I've read most of the Cubase manual(I still don't understand it) so I won't say much there but that being said I know Kontakt. Make sure you use the time-machine function on it so small notes you sampled don't change speed when you play them on your keyboard at different pitches.

Now for the sample chops bit... I'm assuming you're chopping up small segments of songs. You don't wanna worry about 3 minutes of a song looking for places to chop. Chop your samples outside of your DAW just so you can focus on the task at hand first. I would recommend Audacity, it's free and actually pretty good. You'll benefit greatly from having that little bit of software. Now I only use Kontakt for single shots and soundfonts since it handles them real nice. I know you can chop them in Kontakt so I would say you need to first figure out which key your loop is in before you chop it up.
If the song is popular google would help, but seeing as we all like sampling on some hipster tip looking for things nobody knows including the internet sometimes you'll have to find it yourself. Not just the key, but the scale too. I would say you should use a clean piano for this purpose. Low pass the joint and find the bass notes, then try to find the remaining notes in the chords. Once you figured out the chord progression you'll have a pretty good idea of how the melody is gonna work too since melodies mostly follow the chords and vice versa.

Once you know the key then you know how many semitones up or down you should transpose(or tune) your loop so it would work with your project.

Lastly the Chords... just like the loops, you'll need to figure out what they are before you can do anything about them.

Why would you want to sample single chords if you already know your theory though? What genre are you working on?

Back