Sample Library Organization and tips...???

Chew_Bear

Starting to build up a sample library.

I know that a neat and organized sample library is crucial to a fast and efficient workflow.

I would like some tips for....

1. Folder structure...?
2. Naming conventions...?
3. Ease and Simplicity...?

So far...I have:

SAMPLES
_Bass
_Chants
_Claps
_Cymbals
_Hats
_FX
_Instruments
_Kick Drums
_Misc.
_Percussion
_Snare Drums
_Vocals

These are my 'MAIN' folders. Within these folders...I might have some smaller/sub folders. I.E. Genre (Dubstep kit, Electro House Kit etc.), 808, 909, MPC etc.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

+1

Naming is definitely something I have trouble with and would tips on. Like if I have a sound thats basically chains layered with a cracking sound, and then another one with a somewhat subtle difference.

Spent the whole day figuring out a way to organize my samples. This is what I came up with for a FOLDER STRUCTURE and NAMING CONVENTION. These are "MAIN" folders with "SUB FOLDERS".

Feel free to copy it and use it as your own template or use it as an idea/example for your own folder structure and naming convention.

This is a "work in progress". Obviously...there can be more subfolders added to suit anyones style or preference. Folders can be deleted also of course.

Please share some of your tips and folder structures and naming conventions. Sample library organization is important and crucial for beat making as it makes searching easier, effective and efficient.

Any suggestions and changes are WELCOME. Thanks.

BASS LINES

DRUM KITS
__BASS/KICK
__CLAPS
__CLOSED HAT
__CLOSED HI HAT
__CRASH
__CYMBALS
__OPEN HAT
__OPEN HI HAT
__RIDE
__RIMSHOT
__SNARE
__TOM

INSTRUMENTS
__WIND
__STRING
__BRASS
__PIANO
__HARP
__GUITAR

FX
__ARTIFICIAL
__ATMOSPHERE
__GENRE
__INDUSTRIAL
__MOOD
__ORGANIC
__TEXTURE

PADS

PERCUSSION
__BELLS
__BONGO
__CLAVE
__CONGA
__COWBELL
__GONGS
__MARACA
__SHAKER
__SNAPS
__STICKS
__TAMBOURINE
__TIMPANI
__TRIANGLE

STABS

SYNTH LEADS

VOCALS
__MALE
__FEMALE
__CHANTS
__ETHNIC
__ARTIFICIAL

NOISE
__ANIMALS
__ARTIFICIAL
__ORGANIC

LOOPS_STEMS
__BASS
__DRUMS
__INSTRUMENTS
__SYNTHS

MISC.

TURNTABLISM
__FX
__ONE SHOT
__SCRATCH SAMPLES

WORLD_ETHNIC
__AFRICA
__ASIA
__AUSTRALIA
__MIDDLE EAST
__OCEANIA ISLANDER
__SOUTH AMERICA

Last edited:
I have a folder called kits and keep every thing in the kit they came from. Then I have a samples folder for single SFX and hits I download.

Back