Sample or Drums first?

WavyDavid

Hey guys so im beginning to sample, and i was just wondering if its better to make the drums first and then play with the sample chops, or play with the sample chops first then add drums? (sorry if its a dumb question i just wanna know what you guys prefer)

Just start messing around and see what works for you. It could go both ways.

On one hand I sometimes find it easier to play the chops to a drum pattern. However whenever I do this I usually end up changing the drums.

More often than not I start with the sample and build around that. It's hard to select your drum sounds without hearing the sample laid down.

Last edited:
yeah i usually find samples to work around with, but when i know the beat's going to need a really crisp/fat BD i usually start messing with compression on my BD and SD. It takes a little while (5-10 minutes) to get a good bouncy BD or a muddy SD so if I have time I will use it to organize my drums before i begin dropping in samples.

I start with the sample as well but a lot of people do the opposite. Just try both ways, it might take a while to know what works for you but you'll get there.

Usually you should always use the sample first, but drums is an exception for the simple reason is drums make noise and are not in a harmonic series the way other instruments are.

Depends on the producer and situation. It can go both ways, especially when chopping. There are no rules, just make sure that whatever you add matches and blends together well!

Go watch "Rhythmn Roulette" on Youtube! Watch how each producer goes to work. Everyone works differently.

I usually find the sample , cut it, play with it til I find a main loop, add drum,, and go back with the drum to create more loops for like intro, outro, bridge or wtv.

When I first began sampling I would lay the drums down first.

As I've gone on I prefer messing with the chops first due to most of the time already having a brief idea of where I want to go with the sample.

Then I can go in and layer the right drums to match the sample.

Both work. Generally, I (and most), go with sample first. However, if you have a really dope break that you want to come out as the primary element, you can go with drums first. I made a beat tape a year ago where I made everything drums-first to switch it up. Good luck!

Back