Sample Digging Tips

S-Beats

How do you search for samples when you want to do a boom bap beat? What you search? And what are your favorite instruments to sample?

Read some of the stickies above or use the search function. If you are willing to try, with a very small amount of effort, you can find a wealth of knowledge here.
The great thing about hiphop is you can sample anything and make something dope out of it, if you spend the time. Whether it has the boom bap style or not, is going to depend on the style, competence, taste and skill of the individual who is attempting to create it. With practice, the wisdom will come.

If you just want a quick answer then a lot of boom bap samples jazz, funk and soul. Good luck.

Boom Bap beats have been/are exhausted but only by the cats that attempt to poorly replicate what masters like Premo and Pete have done, just 'cause something is perceived to be dead in the mainstream doesn't mean that people have stopped wanting it. The money is anywhere an artist is willing to go for it but the artist has been and is always the last to get paid.

Last edited:
Dont make boombaps, those days are over. Trap beats & Newschool R&B beats where the money at nowadays.

That is among the top 10 stupidest things that I have ever seen anyone say on the internet...and as we all know quite well, that IS difficult.
We know who that guy thinks is dope...

Don't let others establish what it means to have genuine love for hiphop and who doesn't.
You are already on the right track.

it doesn't have to be about boom bap.....but the chemistry for a good sampled beat will never change.....if you've got nice drums and a nice sample to go with it....along with a nice bass.....as long as you make it interesting it should turn out nice......

I sample from anything.....world music is a great place to find out some new stuff.....I've got Yugoslavian records, Chinese records, Greek records, Irish, French, Welsh.....

it can be Perry Como or it can be William Bell......its all good......have fun with it....

(fug Trap tho by the way)

Dont listen to the nay Sayers. I still make boom Bap beats and believe it or not people still want them. I found some record gems in my local Salvation Army. Check I amazon for old records to buy. People on Craigslist are always throwing away stacks of records. The samples are everywhere. Sometimes I sample from YouTube. But watch out because most of the song on YouTube are over compressed.

Back