Sample Clearance for video games?

Karmatic

Anybody knows how this process goes? Any help is greatly appreciated. I thought that the artist has to go through the publishing and record rights, but with video games I'm not too sure.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear, but I sampled a video game song from an OST of megaman X. I chopped two 5 second loops and actually had about 5 seconds of the unchopped composition play out at the end. Come to find out that the master i sampled was a remake by Jarel Jones. The original was composed by 4 japanese artists (I have their names), published under Capcom. Is this all the information needed to get the sample cleared? I am 18 and this is my first sale to a major record label and i absolutely do not wanna get F*CKED in any way. Also I've seen a lot of your posts around too man, if you have any contracts that could help me out (as far as royalties and making it the label's responsibility to clear samples) it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear, but I sampled a video game song from an OST of megaman X. I chopped two 5 second loops and actually had about 5 seconds of the unchopped composition play out at the end. Come to find out that the master i sampled was a remake by Jarel Jones. The original was composed by 4 japanese artists (I have their names), published under Capcom. Is this all the information needed to get the sample cleared? I am 18 and this is my first sale to a major record label and i absolutely do not wanna get F*CKED in any way. Also I've seen a lot of your posts around too man, if you have any contracts that could help me out (as far as royalties and making it the label's responsibility to clear samples) it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I don't know any info about all that stuff but I just wanted to tell you congrats man. Major move!

Yeah, sounds like you're on the right track. Music in a video game is no different than music on vinyl. You still gotta clear the rights of a sound recording and the rights of the underlying composition. Only difference with video games is possibly a little added complexity in finding who really owns the rights. I'd start by asking Capcom - your job might be pretty easy if it turns out they commissioned the music and/or own all the rights to it.

I don't know much about the rights and stuff for video games, but I gotta say if the beat you're talking about is the one on your myspace page, that thing is FIRE.

Also, your Mr. Rogers beat is my fav from that list.

Back