Sample based producers

C

cheddarboi

Sup producers,I'm new to music production and I want to focus on sampling but have no idea where to start from or to even find records.I use fl studio 10 and i would like some advice and tips.Thanks

As for the records, hit up record stores, thrift shops, and good will. I go for funk, jazz, instrumentals, and honestly anything with a crazy cover haha. If you get lucky and find any drum breaks chop em up! it took forever for me to find any drums so i sampled from youtube, i am also a drummer so i sample my own drums a lot.

ive never sampled with fl, but im sure theres tons of videos online. Happy digging!

Go to your local record store, thrift store etc... A local record shop near me puts out scratched records every Monday morning for free. I grab the crate, dig and find samples. Don't be scared to get a scratched old record for cheap.

A short story: I had a really scratchy record, but loved the sample. Made the beat. And it ended up selling for $600. I was going to replace the sample with a non scratchy version and he said "Don't touch it! I love the scratchiness!" - the scratch became apart of the song's vibe.

But ya, Dollar bin is the way to go.

p.s. If you want quality hard hitting sounds, DO NOT sample from youtube. The quality sucks and you will wonder why your stuff doesn't sound like the people you listen to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find records from anywhere you can think of, what the two people above me said is good. If you aren't sampling from vinyl, at least sample from .wav format sounds.

FL is great for sampling but only if you know functions. I hate the sounds FL comes with, so all my sounds have been found and chopped from various prog-rock, jazz, funk, soul, classical, and foreign records. For drums, I often mix chops of prog-rock, funk, and mickey mouse club (forreal, i found some good shit in there lol).

I guess a simple blueprint would be:

-Load a song in edision or seperate adobe editors (I know people use to do that in previous versions, not sure how much different or better/worse the process would be than edison)

-Highlight your chosen parts: I recommend it being in 4, 8, 16, or 32 Bar highlights. But it can be however you want it to be. Experiment with whatever editing tools in edison you want or not before you're ready to do something with that.

-drag your highlights to loaded slicer or slicex channels, and figure out how you want it to be chopped. From there, if u want certain fractional chops of your sample to have its own channel, you can drag the little wave picture that is shown in the properties window onto a sampler channel to be further edited. I would give you a link, but this is only my second post. Search "NFXBeats Slicer" for a good tutorial on slicer.

This is just a brief overview though, I don't know how familiar you are with FL, so I hope I helped. If not, let me know more in depth about what you need to figure out. NFXbeats on youtube has pretty good tutorials to help you out.

-

Find records from anywhere you can think of, what the two people above me said is good. If you aren't sampling from vinyl, at least sample from .wav format sounds........

-

Good details. Sampling inside of a software is kind of hard for me. I started on an MPC and then did some editing inside Protools. I never got in the groove with Protools. I have heard some very nice productions on FL Studio. Doesn't 9th Wonder use FL Studios? I never thought his sound quality was good but he did well with chopping samples.

Good details. Sampling inside of a software is kind of hard for me. I started on an MPC and then did some editing inside Protools. I never got in the groove with Protools. I have heard some very nice productions on FL Studio. Doesn't 9th Wonder use FL Studios? I never thought his sound quality was good but he did well with chopping samples.

yeah, 9th uses FL. Apart from him, I can't think of many others that use it in the same way as 9th. I know Lex Luger and some others use FL Studio, but for crate diggers, not many big names come to my mind right now besides 9th wonder. FL is def good for chopping, as I use to to chop from 5-9 different songs at a time for 1 beat. I has a good organization design, that's what I like about it, as trying to sample 5-9 songs for one beat is total chaos. Being able to separate the chops for editing and tuning really helps me be able to get the end result I look for when I decide to do that type of crazy shit. I think mixing and especially mastering are not the best for FL Studio, hence 9th's sound quality, but is great for sequencing, chopping, sample editing, and basic mixing.

Hit-Boy and Chase N Cash uses FL as well.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Well like everyone else said hit the thrift shops, record stores and any older people you know. As for sampling into FL its pretty simple you can either just record the sample into another DAW and then drag and drop the sample into FL. I started off just looping samples but eventually got bored an moved onto sample chopping to create a whole different type of song.

I get a lot of samples from dads old records. If you know people who used to be into collecting. I'm sure they will be okay with you borrowing them

I would not suggest using FL for sampling. I used it for a long time for that purpose and found it limiting, especially once I started using Ableton Live. Live is much more intuitive in terms of sampling, does a lot of stuff to save time as opposed to FL, and in general I prefer it for a lot of other reasons too.

As for records, like everyone else said get 'em anywhere you can. Thrift shops, record stores, peoples basements, etc. Some of the best records I've found for sampling from are ones I grabbed for $3 cause they had a cool name.

Last edited:
I use fl10 too and i've doing okay with it. I would recommend getting a controller to give you more of a hands on feel. Its nothing like mashin out on a mpc or something similar.

If you're looking into sampling records FL is not your best option, look into an SP 303, 404 etc..

:4theloveofgod: WTF are you talking about? You can use FL Studio and still make great sample based music. Its not the tool, its the creator. OP, if you want to get some info, read up on how to make beats in the beattips manual (BeatTips Store: Beatmaking, Making Beats, Hip Hop Production, Hip Hop/Rap Music, Recording Music, Home Recording, Music Education, Music Business, and Music History:) and watch youtube videos about the ins and outs of Fl Studio. There is an FL Studio Bible that can help too. Dont let people tell you what you dont and do need.

you must be crazy.
FL is the greatest/fastest/easiest tool there is for sampling.

Use Edison to record your samples. Than drag it into Slicex and start chopping. and sequence it
Throw your drums in the FPC by browsing through your library on the left.
Route your drums from the FPC's Output's through your FX in FL's Mixer and you're ready to go.

wow at this thread. There's no other software or HARDWARE focused on beat creation I can think of other than Ableton Live(which I only give credit because I haven't used it in depth)that gives as much focus to functionality with manipulation of audio clips as FL.

Sounds like a bold statement, but very true. Timestretch with the snap of a finger, EDISON, Beatslicers, FPC, Step Sequencer, Audio Clips and all the functions within like filters, cutoff, asdhr, lfo, pitch...nothing puts it all right in front of you with simple knob functionality like FL.

Best is a subjective statement. I'm not saying FL is the best for sampling, i'm just saying it's far beyond other options mentioned in this thread.

I use to cop records from my local goodwill.

but i had to sell my technics (hard times) so these days youtube suffices. the related/recommended videos actually come in pretty handy tho when diggin for samples.

Back