[sample based] beatmakers who dont dig....

oldhydrolaw

diggers:non-diggers

as a

shortstop:DH

i know i'm old and all. but digging is part of the game. e-diggin dont count. go get those fingers dusty.

i've been flammed for expressing such sentiment on other forums (read: gearslutz)...but it is what is

it just bothers me to see sample ID posts ...really

all the cats you guys worship (dilla, pete, primo, LP etc ... wouldnt touch an Mp3)

i'm done though... i know... i'm old... thats how it use to be

The thing with E Digging is that its faster paced and cheaper. I actually sold my record collection recently because I had 20 crates and they took up a large part of the upstairs area of my house. I still have some stuff laying around some of my favorite records ect but they weren't getting that much play my buying habits were moving faster than my sales and I spent much more time finding out about new records than actually making beats. In 2012 the beat business is fast paced. Very fast paced. It sounds worse but I understand why so many people favor E Digging. If you are a well established producer like Premier who still uses an mpc 60 and will not move to anything else then it makes a ton of sense why he still uses records. Its faster for him to do that. I love digging just wasn't as user friendly for me anymore. Now I just go to the record store and buy the stuff I cannot find online to balance out the costs.

i understand...
its the old art vs. commerce argument.

i'm just anal. it makes no sense for me to buy 1000s of dollars of plugs/converters etc... to go use some frequency depleted MP3. and that probably has alot to do with being OLD.

i know cats would reject the whole cultural argument thing [so i'll leave that alone]...but i dont understand producers not wanting their beats to have the best possible range

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

BTW...
feeling the #ihatemixtapes EP

Thank you that EP is all vinyl except Sliding Muzik which was an mp3. I am getting old myself. I'll be 29 this year. I remember the culture behind digging and dug heavy until a few months ago. For me now its more about making something that sounds like it may have been sampled. I look at it like if the djs in the 70, 80s, 90s could afford and have access to these tools we have today what would they have done with them. I don't want to sample the Isley's much anymore I would rather make something in that vien from scratch. I still love and respect sampling though.

Well, I do both... I love getting my fingers dusty tho, it's the best but due to lack of money (90% of the month) I cant afford buying as many records as I'd like to, unfortunately.

Im 19, and I've quite recently started out making beats and started digging around for gold. Been doing it for about 4-6 months, but dam first time I ever laid my eyes on a LP as a child I were blown away... Thus boring accidents in life I couldnt get started earlier, so I have a few years to catch up hehe.

Love digging, getting money in a few weeks - then im off for a few days mahaha......

I don't see anything wrong with E-digging, it's not the same thing as digging around in crates - not by far, but sometimes (as myself) I dont have much of a choice at times.

Peace.

E-clickers.... they think they know music/artists/songs but all they do is click on related videos....

I've done both. I prefer to "get my fingers dusty" tho.

But as far as the producers you named who wouldn't touch an mp3. There were producers they looked up to who wouldn't touch a drum machine.

Let people live....

i feel u (almost)

the guys that came before those guys did use drum machines (larry smith).

and the people who didnt werent PRODUCING hip hop lol...

now if you said Larry Smith refused to sample that would be one thing.

everybody has the right to do what they want...

someone can compose a orchestral symphony on a NORD lead if they want...

if they call it traditional classic music...some folks gonna call em on it

see if you know the history of the music...you understand that finding the record is almost just as important as the flip... in fact...the flip really comes into play when [business] sampling clearance comes into it...

sample blogs etc is just antithetical to the original rules. and yeah hip hop says break the rules (but we were talking about musicians rules...not our own rules lol)...do what u can with what u have... etc

it just seems lazy. cats be talking bout they dont have $ etc...
broke ass cats in the 80s and 90s found ways to get drum machines and samplers that cost thousands of dollars...

i had to save (and stop smoking weed) for like 5 months to afford that sp1200....

i'm a dinosaur

All those old Tribe beats were made on pause tapes w/o a drum machine. Cats who couldn't afford drum machines stayed doing pause tapes. I understand that hiphop started out with samples but honestly I think we are beyond that and have been for some time. I think the Death Row stuff Dr Dre was doing with session musicians replaying samples is just as hip hop as T.R.O.Y. or Its Tricky. That's just me though

I don't really give a shit where the material comes from as long as its dope.

You think your idols would give a shit? They happened to find their shit on vinyl cause thats what they had at the time and thats what they gotten used to. They'd be diggin YouTube in a minute if it yields dope shit.

Don't limit yourself. It's about making music... not about making music in ways a non existing authority deems legit. Nobody but maybe the originator (copyright) gives a shit where you caught the sample if its dope and makes the song better.

Last edited:
The thing about "e digging" is that you are sampling something 10k or more people have probably sampled. How rare can it be if it is on youtube or a public forum online.

Sultan On The Beat Episode 3 - YouTube

Nu uh, you are wrong my friend. The thing about E-digging (for me) is to find these unknown/underground sites, blogs and such - and trust me there is a shitload of those too! With little or almost no visitors. I've found some albums, songs and such I know only exist on that blog or w/e. But yeah I get your point tho.

Last edited:
Nu uh, you are wrong my friend. The thing about E-digging (for me) is to find these unknown/underground sites, blogs and such - and trust me there is a shitload of those too! With little or almost no visitors. I've found some albums, songs and such I know only exist on that blog or w/e. But yeah I get your point tho.

Without a doubt there is plenty of stuff online that never got pressed to vinyl or that got pressed and never got released. you aint finding that on vinyl.

I love hip hop just as much as you do my man. The thing is, techniques are bound to change over the course of generations. I'm 27 years old and one of my goals is to finally get a record placed by year's end. If I were to take the time to learn vinyl I would be getting passed up by every other hungry producer out there. Eventually I do want to go back and learn all the vintage techniques. I am afterall majoring in commercial music in school currently. I love that you want to keep it old school but in a few years I'll be in the same boat. I dont particularly like the new recording and producing apps on phones and tablets.

I don't really give a shit where the material comes from as long as its dope.
This.

I love hip hop just as much as you do my man. The thing is, techniques are bound to change over the course of generations.
And this.

The elitist mentality never does anyone any good. They just end up looking bitter because someone used easier methods/better gear that they don't use, but made a beat just as good or better. The tenants of sampling are still the same. Find a sample, flip it in a creative way and make it your own. Whether you found that sample in the dollar bin at your local record store, on youtube, or some blog on angelfire.com that's been up since 2003 and nobody has gone to it in 7 years, it makes no difference. I'm all about good quality too, but if you don't think there are samples in hip-hop that have been at 128KBPS on an official record then you're crazy.

Just do your style because it makes you happy. No need to hate on others for doing the exact same thing in a different matter.

This.

And this.

The elitist mentality never does anyone any good. They just end up looking bitter because someone used easier methods/better gear that they don't use, but made a beat just as good or better. The tenants of sampling are still the same. Find a sample, flip it in a creative way and make it your own. Whether you found that sample in the dollar bin at your local record store, on youtube, or some blog on angelfire.com that's been up since 2003 and nobody has gone to it in 7 years, it makes no difference. I'm all about good quality too, but if you don't think there are samples in hip-hop that have been at 128KBPS on an official record then you're crazy.

Just do your style because it makes you happy. No need to hate on others for doing the exact same thing in a different matter.

Exactly. Honesty I do it for the love of the art, and some for practice. If I had the vinyl, Id flip it like i was doin gymnastics, but the times have indeed changed. In my actual production, i wouldnt really use too many e-samples etc because of the quality. But I believe the content of the sample itself is the actual quality, In my opinion.

Exactly. Honesty I do it for the love of the art, and some for practice. If I had the vinyl, Id flip it like i was doin gymnastics, but the times have indeed changed. In my actual production, i wouldnt really use too many e-samples etc because of the quality. But I believe the content of the sample itself is the actual quality, In my opinion.

I love the fact that alot of these New Jacks are sampling offa the 'net...

1: Copyright has to be DESTROYED...I want it to get to a point that the Government and the Record companies just throw in the towel and quit trying to enforce it...

2: The more they sample offa the 'net, THE MORE ALBUMS FOR ME....hahahhahahahah

Back