Ripping vinyl from laptop

So my usual method is to rip the vinyl on the desktop and bring it to the laptop on a usb to start sampling. I originally tried ripping directly to the laptop (in audacity and directly to Ableton, with the laptop plugged into the wall) but the end result sounds like ass. I'm assuming that the difference is that I route the audio in through the blue line-in hole in the desktop, but the laptop just has a mic input. Next year I won't have access to a desktop, so is there any (hopefully free) method I can effectively rip vinyl onto the laptop?

Should get the job done better than a mic in and won't be a huge investment so you can upgrade if you have need for it.

The one in your desktop probably sounds like shit to be totally honest. If you are recording audio using stock computer soundcards is just not a good idea

And another thing I don't understand is how you get a bad quality sample when ripping from mp3, but then anyone else is ultimately hearing your beats as mp3s. It certainly sounds a million times better to me when the original sample was off a record. Maybe sounds just becomes richer when pressed onto vinyl?

And another thing I don't understand is how you get a bad quality sample when ripping from mp3, but then anyone else is ultimately hearing your beats as mp3s. It certainly sounds a million times better to me when the original sample was off a record. Maybe sounds just becomes richer when pressed onto vinyl?
Its a lossy format. Its like this u have a the full on wave of an original recording (for example) then u dumb it down to mp3 u erase part of the sound then when someone samples it and turns that into a mp3 it erases more of the sound and it just keeps going that way for every person who wants to change the sound in some way. Mp3s can sound decent but in my experience most of the time vinyl is better.

Get a good pre-amp and decent audio interface... sample into your DAW and bounce to .WAV/AIFF (no compression) if you want quality results.

Okay that makes a little more sense

Get a good pre-amp and decent audio interface... sample into your DAW and bounce to .WAV/AIFF (no compression) if you want quality results.
I just got a cheap 16$ pre-amp. As far as I understand, a better pre-amp only reduces any kind of mechanical hum, and I don't notice one with the amp I have. I've been ripping to .wav from audacity but I work with Ableton. Would I get better results if I rip it from there? What's nice about Audacity is that you can rip a whole side as you listen it to it, but then add track labels and export those sections as separate files with the names you gave them.

Back