Reversing samples,why?

RzRbeats

Hello everybody,I've heard some beats that sample a melody out of a song,for instance:Four Tet-Everything is alright which samples a guitar melody I am not able to find anywhere,and I want to sample it too but the drums bother me (search the song on YouTube and you'll see what I mean),and at the end of this song the guitar melody that plays throughout the beat,I found that it is being revesed.Why do some producers do that,is it a copyright evasion trick or a stealing protection,or they just want to add a darker vibe to their beats? Thank you in advance!

sample reversal could be for any number of reasons

I find the way sounds suck back into themselves is really cool

others are looking for hidden messages in tracks (classic examples include Revolution No.9 by the Beatles and Stairway to Heaven)

I personally doubt that any one would be naive enough to believe that if they reverse the track it will not be identified (too many folks know how to reverse the reversal)

Last edited:
It just sounds ****ing rad. Anything reversed is wildly awesome imo. Try finding your own samples and reversing them. Voice sounds particularly well. I do it all the time. Daft Punk did this alot on their first album.

"High Fidelity," for example, features alot of reversed Hi Hats/Voice Samples. Now that i think of it, they're all probably funk voice samples. The Homework album will teach alot of BASICS in eq automation/manipulation and also basic sampling. Something alot of "average" producers overlook. Be sure to check out the tracks "Alive" and "Fresh" for more examples of reverse sampling.

Actually it probably is a hell of alot harder to catch someone for copyright infringement if you reverse the samples. Never thought of it that way. Anyways... Enough dick riding

Hello everybody,I've heard some beats that sample a melody out of a song,for instance:Four Tet-Everything is alright which samples a guitar melody I am not able to find anywhere,and I want to sample it too but the drums bother me (search the song on YouTube and you'll see what I mean),and at the end of this song the guitar melody that plays throughout the beat,I found that it is being revesed.Why do some producers do that,is it a copyright evasion trick or a stealing protection,or they just want to add a darker vibe to their beats? Thank you in advance!

uhh people reverse samples because it SOUNDS GOOD.. that's what music is about at the end of the day.... sounding good no matter what approach you take to get there...

I can't speak for everybody else, but it's just another tool in the tool box for me. I've played something in reverse then pitched it down and had a great outcome that I used for a lead melody way back. Just another tool, man...

There's never really a specific reason as every producer is different, but our guess would be to make the sample sound more diverse and make room for creativity. Like we said though, every producer is different.

It's something I keep thinking about doing (especially on unused chops) but haven't gotten round to yet (which is dumb as its like 3 button presses on Maschine).

Great answers from everybody,I didn't realize that reversing a sample will make it cooler in some way,in fact,I am actually trying to implement this thing on my new project with a sample that I find great for a reversal,and I think it works very well so far,thank you eveybody for your answers!

the best thing with adding 'reverse' to you beat is, in my opinion, to chop some sample, then play it with your arrangament, but last or before-last put a reverse on that chop...in 90% my cases its more interesting sound, seems like some inovations hah

Yeah man, nothing wrong with reversing it to see what it sounds like. Sometimes it's dope. Sometimes it sucks. I don't try it enough- always forget!

I always love reversing samples and then adding a ton of effects to it so I can mix it with the original either before the sample hits or after to be able to really mess with the original sound!

Back