Research and Sampling

2ndchance

How do you know what records/albums/artist/producers to sample. I know there were certain producers or artist in the 60s-80s that have characteristic that make good samples, but how do you know which ones to pick out when you shop around for records. Plz help :cool:

Trial and error. Honestly everyone likes different stuff. After a while you learn what you personally like to sample and what you personally don't. Its not something that happens over night.

How do you know what records/albums/artist/producers to sample. I know there were certain producers or artist in the 60s-80s that have characteristic that make good samples, but how do you know which ones to pick out when you shop around for records. Plz help :cool:

I was thinkin bout makin uh thread about this.. If I don't have any artists in mind I'll usually find the samples of some of my favorite producers. Get as many artists names together as I can. And just start downloadin damn near each artist whole discography lol. Thats just ediggin. I've never actually shopped for records, but my stepdad got uh pretty good collection although its mostly rock I've found some good shit.

Thanks xabition, I like the response but at the same time I don't hahaha. Yeah bro e-diggin is cool I usually do the same, I've just been trying to narrow my options. Try youtube, check out ppl that upload music they like I found some cool channels and subscribe.

You'd like to add somethin stead of just statin how you feel?

Whats to add? there are countless and countless threads on tips and advice on how to dig.

The logical starting point would be to use the search functions or google

Download artists discographies ? Ah yeah its a good way to research but maybe for a 'e-clicker' it is.

Anyway common sense goes a long way

I just go with whatever genres I like. Also if the album cover and song titles look interesting I'll cop it.

Whats to add? there are countless and countless threads on tips and advice on how to dig.

The logical starting point would be to use the search functions or google

Download artists discographies ? Ah yeah its a good way to research but maybe for a 'e-clicker' it is.

Anyway common sense goes a long way

There you go buddy.. Let it out.
It's not your fault.

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I'm new to this forum first post and I love it...looking forward to share the little knowledge I do have.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

look up the artists your favorite producer sampled on who-sampled then download their discographies. lol. My dad had records but they are 60s rock and I ain't no beastie boy

Bro! whosampled is like manna from heaven!!! I love it. Makes searching so much easier!

God... this thread makes me cringe
Me 2 in a lot of ways but I have come to accept that many will not use the search function or read stickies. But then again I think do look into these kinds of resources and is a big part of why FP has died down so much.
I just go with whatever genres I like. Also if the album cover and song titles look interesting I'll cop it.
That's actually how I find a ton of dope samples. Or even someone that I have heard of but never checked out. Especially if the record is under $1. I discovered a love for George Duke that way.
look up the artists your favorite producer sampled on who-sampled then download their discographies. lol. My dad had records but they are 60s rock and I ain't no beastie boy
that will only get you so far though. Its a good start though. And those rock records often have some really dope breaks.

Dont worry abiut researching. Get a turntable i you dont have one
Hit the 99 cent bin at the record shop
Don't just go for the soul and funk that's been looped up a million times over, find some stuff you've never heard of.
Look for weird ass covers, might be wack or it might had the hottest ish thats nobody has heard!
Look for foreign records/ can't understand the song titles! I've found a lot of dope samples on foreign recs
Look on the back on the record sleeve and see what instruments were used. If you like synths check for Moogs
Grab a stack and sit there and listen! Dont just listen to the first 10 seconds of the tracks , skip through each. Takes time but it's rewarding when you find that ONE!

To be honest these days I just grab records I like the cover on or grab joints of artist I sampled before that were hot. You can pretty much make something dope out of any sample there are so many ways to manipulate the samples these days. There is a spot in Boston that has 100 records for $20 I hit that up and always get a ton of heat

To be honest these days I just grab records I like the cover on or grab joints of artist I sampled before that were hot. You can pretty much make something dope out of any sample there are so many ways to manipulate the samples these days. There is a spot in Boston that has 100 records for $20 I hit that up and always get a ton of heat
thats the way to do it. I hit this spot this weekend that had a huge 25 cent stash. Got the Issac Hayes Movement, Choclate Chip, The Jaggers We Went To Different schools and some other dope classic hard to find around here joints for under $2 left with like 15 records.

Tip from 9th Wonder: Learn who produced the original songs that are sampled, then find the not-well-known artists they produced for. There were a handful of great producers in the 70s, for example, who often did whole albums for different artists. Some of these artists haven't been discovered by the producers of today.

Back