Replaying a sample using a keyboard or other instruments

Villainaire

When you replay a sample using a keyboard or another instrument, and leave the original audio of the sample out, do you have to get the sample cleared?

I've always wondered that.

Song's like Rihanna's "S.O.S." (Prod. by Jonathan Rotem) or "I Wear My Stunna Glasses" come to mind as songs that have the same feel as the original, but obviously aren't the same record.

Do songs like these need to be cleared, or is it all yours if you do it like this?

Last edited:
i think they do because in the album book it would say stuff like "this song contains elements from (song replayed)"

I'm under the impression that if you actually use a recording in your song then you need to get the use of the master recording cleared by whoever owns it, most likely the record label, and you need to get the use of the composition cleared by the songwriter. If you recreate a sample, you would only need to clear the sample with the songwriter. Can anyone confirm or correct what I'm saying?

Yes!

i asked the exact same questions in my elctronic music studio class and this is what my professor told me...

you would need to clear the sample or set up some kind of licensing for not only who recorded it but also for who produced or wrote what ever the sample is...he said this even applies to sampling drums but im not sure if people actually clear those samples...this is just what he told me

you guys familiar with "The Champ" Prod by JustBlaze Recorded by Ghoastface....Thats a replayed sample...they couldent clear the original so the replayed it, they put it off by one note. If you change the notes but keep the same scales, paterns whatever, you wouldent need to clear it, since technicly its a new creation

Normally you do have to clear it...

but instead of having to payt he label AND the artist... you only have to pay the artist...

Are you sure "S.O.S." is re-played? sounds like a sample to me.

I thought if you replay it, it's like a cover song...still have to clear it, but the royalty is tiny compared to using a sample (there are 2 dif royalties, and you only have to pay 1 if it's replayed). There are names for the types of royalties involved but I forget, maybe someone will chime in with that info.

i think u only have to pay mechanical royalties if u recreate a song

SOS is sampled and Stunna Glasses At Nite sounds like a sample (does anyone know the sample it sounds like a 80s rock song or something w/ the vocals)

Back